none
O365 User's email address reverts to previous email (after a name change) and loses invitations from meeting invites

Question

• Hey all, I have a head scratcher here. 

We have a user who started at the company as an example A.B, changed her last name (now A.C) and then reverted her name back to the original A.B before leaving the company.

She has returned and instead of enabling her previous ADUC user object, a new one was created. 

Now that you're caught up, here's what's going on...

If anyone invites A.B to a meeting (recurring or not) then decides to edit the invitees on the meeting without editing A.B and send the update, A.B somehow changes to A.C and she receives a cancellation when the meeting was never cancelled, and she was never removed by the creator of the meeting. 

Removing the alias of A.C made things worse as now we were receiving kickbacks from Exchange saying it was undeliverable to A.C.

The kicker, our company primarily uses Mac's, and we can easily replicate this issue on both Mac and office.com's online web access, but when we try to replicate this on a Windows machine or Windows VM, it does not convert A.B to A.C.

Any ideas, suggestions, support from this group would be much appreciated!

Sincerely,

A Confused Network Admin

Thursday, May 03, 2018 7:25 PM

All replies

• Is the old account still in existence?  If so, delete it or look at all its attributes and make sure that there are no traces of A.B.  In addition, you may have to tell users to delete the old entry from their Autocomplete cache and select it from the GAL again.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, May 03, 2018 8:12 PM
  • Apparently yes the original account is still in Exchange but is disabled. 

I'll have them check out the attributes to make sure there's no A.B there and if not, to remove/delete that account.

I'll report back with the findings.

Thank you Ed!

Thursday, May 03, 2018 8:18 PM
  • Make sure it's no longer a mailbox or mail user with Disable-Mailbox and Disable-MailUser.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, May 03, 2018 8:28 PM
  • Hi Tes,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 09, 2018 1:48 AM
  • I am having the team look into this today, I'll follow up with results. Currently it's unsolved. 
    Wednesday, May 09, 2018 12:26 PM
  • Hi Tes,

Is there any update on this thread? If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well. Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, May 11, 2018 9:14 AM
  • Hello,

I actually have a ticket open with Sr Support Escalation Engineer with Microsoft and am awaiting their reply so I can update this post.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 1:27 PM
  • Hi Tes,

Is there any update on this thread?

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Thursday, May 24, 2018 9:42 AM