Should I reinstall? Multiple issues (possibly corrupted beyond repair?) with XP (Media Center) RRS feed

• Question

• XP MEDIA CENTER EDITION

mfc71.dll

shell32.dll

========================

I'm having serious issues with the two items above.  I'm getting an error message out of Explorer when I right-click an item (shell32.dll) and the following (mfc71.dll) error is now preventing me from opening my flatbed scanner utilitiy:

mfc71.dll was loaded, but the DLLRegisterServer entry point was not found.  This file can not be registered.

Should I do a complete reinstall?  :(

sw

Thursday, December 23, 2010 9:50 PM

All replies

• A complete reinstall is not required. Contained in this KB is your solution.

Click on the desktop some place with a right click create a new short cut.

enter the letters "cmd.exe "then run.

Then click on next. It will place a short cut on the desktop for the dos window.

Right click on the icon then click on run as adminstrator

Once your at the c:\>_ or c:\windows>_

The underline should be flashing then enter  in this text

"regsvr32.exe mfc71.dll" then press enter.

regsvr32 should popup with a registeration of mfc71.dll sucess.

You probably do not need to reboot boot for this to work.

Couple of things to consider. The original installation may have been ran under an non-administrator account.

Another alternative is to download this security update from microsoft for net 2003.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=A05CE727-C5B5-4022-B7A0-D8861CE99209&displaylang=en

If your confused about administrator account. Search for Mark Russinovicks explanation of differences of user accounts.

Another alternative is to use  Visual Studio runtime for 2008. A bit more modern and more secure. I find this runtime more responsive and reliabile. Or consider installing the latest version Visual Studio 2010 runtime.

Remember igf you find this information useful mark your request as answered!

Cheers Keith

Sunday, December 26, 2010 4:16 AM