WSUS and Computer shows Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64 (KB976932) status as "Installed" but Windows Update lists it as a needed update RRS feed

• Question

• As a starting point,

When we made our Windows 7 image, we slipstreamed SP1 in it. It was not noticed until we tried, and could not use, WSUS to install IE10 that there was an issue. 

IE10 lists on many of our computers as "Not Applicable" even though the prerequisites are showing as "Installed" or "Not Applicable" in WSUS on any of the PCs we have been testing. Thus far we have been able to fix this by manually installing the SP1 package through Windows Update. Further, SP1 does not have a "Needed" status for any of these affected PCs within WSUS.

I am at a loss as of now as to why SP1 lists as needed on PC's in Windows Updates, but the properties of My Computer lists SP1 as being installed. It is putting a damper on our IE10 rollout. 

Any insight is greatly appreciated, and I can provide any information requested to iron this out.

Thanks in advance

Thursday, April 30, 2015 8:51 PM

Answers

• in the windowsupdate.log file, does it actually list your OS as 7 SP1? what about in the WSUS reports or console?

it sounds like an issue with the slipstream but at least the re-deployment of SP1 through WSUS works so you have a relatively easy way of getting around this issue.  I would rebuild your image by downloading the already slipstreamed SP1 version of Win7 from Microsoft rather than slipstreaming it into the RTM build

WSUS is kind of weird in that sense, it may know your OS version but if it's checking for actual KBs in the update catalog to determine if an update is needed or not, and it doesn't see what it's looking for, it might push the update out anyway. it's kind of common depending on how you sealed your gold image, whether it was sysprep or a third party solution

• Marked as answer by Frank Shen5 Monday, May 11, 2015 8:13 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Frank Shen5 Monday, May 11, 2015 8:13 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Frank Shen5 Monday, May 11, 2015 8:13 AM
    • Marked as answer by Frank Shen5 Friday, May 15, 2015 6:44 AM
    Friday, May 1, 2015 7:45 PM