WSUS client checks for updates and never finds any?!? RRS feed

• Question

• I am temping for an organisation that has a hyper-v cluster on server 2008r2 data center, with one VM which is used as a base template of all client VMs in that particular site. The problem is that this client (which is on Windows 7 x64) should be updated regularly, and it does not. Update should be applied by a Wsus server which is integrated on to a SCCM 2012 server. I have reinstalled the ccm agent through SCCM successfully, and in the SCCM console it shows 'client activity' as active. However, in the WSUS console it is a different story saying 'not yet reported'. I am puzzled why this is the case, as I have deleted it from wsus and after I reinstalled the agent and hit 'wuauclt /detectnow', it pops back in the WSUS console. I do not see the logic of it registering itself with WSUS, but not 'reporting' anything. In the status bar of this client it, the only updates listed are 'unknown updates' which are currently at 10079!. If you run windows updates it finds none, and it says that its last update was never. However, if you look in the history it is picking up Endpoint updates, though apparently nothing else. I have done the basic WSUS troubleshooting, including the automated MS repair fix, the resetauthorization switch, restarting the services (and the VM itself), trying to update direct from Microsoft ( I get code 80244018 Windows Update encountered an unknown error), running the Windows update installer as per here (https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/971058) – it fails with an ‘unrecoverable error’, and recreating the ‘softwaredistribution’ update cache. Nothing works, and it is important that this gets fixed as this vm is used as a template from which other VM clients are rolled out.

Would much appreciate any advice on resolving this.
    Friday, April 1, 2016 9:22 AM

All replies

• Just don't use the WSUS console at all when WSUS is being used as SUP. Examine windowsupdate.log instead. The Monitoring node in the CM console might also be helpful.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Friday, April 1, 2016 9:40 AM
  • Dear Sir,

You need to check first to make sure the integration(WSUS & ConfigMgr) is correctly set up. As Torsten suggested, you can use Monitoring node to check the component status (Monitoring - Site System). Then you need to check if catalog correctly set and  synced with Microsoft. Then you need to check if software update group created and deployed to clients...

I recommend to read document first as it's detailed

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712312.aspx

Best regards

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, April 1, 2016 11:23 AM
  • To tack onto Torsten's comments, software updates in ConfigMgr is quite different than software updates using a stand-alone WSUS instance even though a WSUS instance is still involved. As Torsten noted, there's really nothing of value in the WSUS console when managing software updates via ConfigMgr.

Managing and troubleshooting software updates in ConfigMgr is way beyond a simple forum post, but as with all things ConfigMgr, when troubleshooting, you need to start with log files including wuahandler.log in c:\windows\ccm\logs.

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Friday, April 1, 2016 12:34 PM
  • Looked at these logs, almost unreadable compared to say Event Viewer. Did not really see anything leaping out except Error = 0x80240022 which ther fx is apparently to reset the software cache, which I have tried already. I can see this VM In the SCCM console OK, but don't see where I can find diagnostic information - is there anyway to generate this in sccm? Sorry to be so vague, but SCCM is a vast area which I am not very familiar with.
    Friday, April 1, 2016 3:15 PM
  • "but SCCM is a vast area which I am not very familiar with"

Right, which is why I said this is much bigger than a forum post; you're *not* going to learn ConfigMgr from a forum thread. It's time to do some training, read some books, watch some videos, etc. Kind of like if you were brought in to fix an jumbo jet but all you've worked on is a lawn mower -- sure you know how to use similar tools, but it's a huge step up and quite different.

To help read log files in ConfigMgr, use CMTrace. It's a stand-alone exe that you can get by installing the ConfigMgr 2012 R2 toolkit (it's also available in the Tools folder of the ConfigMgr installation directory on the site server if you have access to it).

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Friday, April 1, 2016 3:21 PM
  • I can see the logic of what you propose, but unfortunately I am temping as a generic support person so don't have the luxury of teaching myself through books, CBT, videos etc the SCCM field thoroughly. It is just one ticket among many which deal with a jumble of technologies.

However, I did use the CMTrace tool which is an excellent little piece of software for log reading. I went through all the recent errors in the windowsupdate.log and spent literally an entire day looking them all up and trying to find resolutions, and nothing has worked so far. It is coming to the stage where it might be easier to build a new template VM from scratch rather than trying to troubleshoot this one further.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 3:21 PM
  • Dear Sir,

It's OK to build a new template from scratch and should be easier. To learn Configuration manager administration, you can starting from searching good guides around the web.

Below is a good guide which might help you

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/7075.system-center-2012-configuration-manager-survival-guide.aspx

Best regards

Frank

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 12:18 PM
  • Yes, I would say it might be time to build a new template.  As others have mentioned, don't use the WSUS console if the environment is managing software updates through SCCM.  Things could potentially get messed up.

Also, based on your very first post, I would suggest that this may not be an SCCM-specific problem, but more likely related to the Windows Update engine failing on that specific client machine.  The fact that you can't go directly to Windows Update and search/install updates, indicates that you've bypassed the SCCM infrastructure, but yet still can't install updates.  If you can't install the updates manually, I wouldn't expect it to work through SCCM either.  You need a healthy Windows client for SCCM to do its thing.  In the end, a client rebuild/reinstallation is likely your best bet.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 2:34 PM
  • Dear Sir,

Absolutely.

Here is a link of a TechNet VLab for managing update with ConfigMgr 2012 R2:

https://vlabs.holsystems.com/vlabs/technet?eng=VLabs&auth=none&src=vlabs&altadd=true&labid=20360&lod=true

In the lab, there is a really detailed step by step document, easy to start. This will be really helpful to have a general image to use ConfigMgr to manage update.

Best regards

Frank

Thursday, April 14, 2016 8:36 AM