none
VM Move causing issues with our DR scenario RRS feed

• Question

• We currently have 3 Hyper-V hosts with roughly 35 VMs.  Our DPM infrastructure contains two DPM 2010 Servers.  The Primary backs up the VMs and the secondary sits in a DR site and backs up the primary.

Right now If I move a VM from one host to another I have to create a whole new replica on the Primary DPM then back that up over a slowish (9Mbs) WAN link to the DR.  Then I can remove the inactive replica on both machines after our retention period expires.  I have been able to get by so far by not moving large VMs but unfortunately that time has past.  I need to move several VM with TBs of data that I cannot afford to re replicate over the WAN.  Is there a solution out there that can reassociate a replica with a new protected server? 

As a side note, we are looking to upgrade to DPM 2012, would that help this situation out at all?

Thanks...

• Edited by Geaux-Tigers Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:13 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 1:11 AM

Answers

• There is no solution within DPM 2012 that will solve your case when you are using that design.

If you don't have the ability to create a cluster I could recommend you to look closer at the SMB share function within the WS2012 release and Hyper-V 3.0.

Please mark my response as answered and feel free to post any further question so we can assist you.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Check out my DPM blog @ http://robertanddpm.blogspot.com

• Marked as answer by Geaux-Tigers Thursday, September 13, 2012 1:01 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM2010 will operate with the CSV 1.0 within your Hyper-V 2.0. DPM will loose track of your VM's when you are moving them between the nodes since this information is not populated from the CSV to DPM.

This is actually solved using the combination of DPM 2012 SP1 and Windows Sever 2012 using CSV 2.0

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 3:54 PM
  • I did not state in my initial post that we do not have shared storage so CSV is out. Each server has internal drives and thats not about to change.  I would love to throw a SAN in the mix but budgets do not allow.

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 4:32 PM
  • There is no solution within DPM 2012 that will solve your case when you are using that design.

If you don't have the ability to create a cluster I could recommend you to look closer at the SMB share function within the WS2012 release and Hyper-V 3.0.

Please mark my response as answered and feel free to post any further question so we can assist you.

Best Regards

Robert Hedblom

MVP DPM

• Marked as answer by Geaux-Tigers Thursday, September 13, 2012 1:01 PM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2012 10:38 PM