none
Windows Server 2016 Standard won't boot after install of Hyper-V

Question

• Asus P6X58D-E

24GB Ram

Adaptek 5405 storage controller (RAID 1)

Adaptek 6805 storage controller (RAID 5)

i7 970 (ACPI\GenuineIntel_-_Intel64_Family_6_Model_44)

Hyperthreading enabled

After installation of Hyper-V feature the system will be rebooted, but it will never come up again.

I have tried it several different ways trying to guess what might the problem be. The results are reliable across many different Hyper-V installation options.

I am about ready to toss the MOBO. If there is any other way, the help would be much appreciated.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:51 PM

Answers

• Since it is an unsupported desktop board your best shot (no guarantees) is to flash the latest firmware, install chipset and drivers for Windows 10 x64 (same kernel)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Troy Donovan Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:05 PM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:56 PM
  • or install Windows 10 if it supports all features like SLAT and do nested Hyper-V in a VM for getting used with Server 2016

• Marked as answer by Troy Donovan Wednesday, March 15, 2017 7:24 PM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:56 PM
  • The bios and chipset are the first you would want to update. The chipset allows the operating system to find and use devices integrated into the mobo. I just looked at what drivers / OSs were on their web site.

https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/P6X58D-E/HelpDesk_download

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z10PED8_WS/HelpDesk_Download/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:12 PM

All replies

• Since it is an unsupported desktop board your best shot (no guarantees) is to flash the latest firmware, install chipset and drivers for Windows 10 x64 (same kernel)

• Marked as answer by Troy Donovan Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:05 PM
    Tuesday, March 14, 2017 2:56 PM
  • or install Windows 10 if it supports all features like SLAT and do nested Hyper-V in a VM for getting used with Server 2016

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:56 PM
  • Thanks, Dave, for getting back to me.

Re: install chipset and drivers for Windows 10 x64

You are suggesting that I seek out all the Windows 10 drivers I can find for the chipset on my board and for any other equipment that I have installed, right?

Also, let's say I find another MOBO to use. Where would I go to check and how would I know that it is supported? For example, ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS. 

Thanks in advance,

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:05 PM
  • The bios and chipset are the first you would want to update. The chipset allows the operating system to find and use devices integrated into the mobo. I just looked at what drivers / OSs were on their web site.

https://www.asus.com/us/supportonly/P6X58D-E/HelpDesk_download

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z10PED8_WS/HelpDesk_Download/

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:12 PM