none
Win POSReady 2009 installation on cf card failed RRS feed

• Question

• Hello
    I got a question for you. I know that you can install win posready on a usb flash drive.
    I got cf card and when i want to install it there is note;
    EXEPTION: OBJECT REFERENCE NOT SET TO AN INSTANCE OF AN OBJECT
    Does anybody knows what to  do?

Thank you for all the answers
    jm
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 6:37 AM

Answers

• JM,

There is a mix of technologies here with your USB reader and Compact Flash.  Typically a Compact Flash device announces as an IDE device, and may in fact do so in this scenario.  However, the USB card reader presents a unique challenge.  In order to boot from a device on the USB Bus your installation MUST use a special bootable USB stack.

Try installing to a USB Flash Device (Memory Stick) and get POSReady running there then transfer the image to the Compact Flash storage device.

I believe you would have better luck with an internal card reader as opposed to a USB reader in order to remove the USB bus from the situation..

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft
    Friday, March 5, 2010 2:28 PM
  • Hi jm,

I was just chatting with Terry and we remembered one thing you'll need to do too: the CF will need to be formatted for booting before imaging. 

This isn't so hard, the tools needed are on the installation CD.  If you are running Windows 7 or Vista, format the drive using Explorer then run bootsect.exe.  If you're running XP, run ufdprep.exe.  Both have similar options but be sure to specify NTFS.

Success wise, I'm not sure if this will work however.  Our testing focused on CF through PCI which is more common on embedded systems.  There have been cases where your environment worked but it's going to be harder to get working.

Brendan
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 12:54 AM
  • Hello
    i have found the solution. I have bought new cf card and now works like a charme ,)
    thanks for all your help

jm
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 12:36 PM

All replies

• Hi jm,

I wish I had some easy answers but I'll try to help.  This looks like a problem in our setup which is making an incorrect assumption that we'll have to try to work around.  First let me ask some questions so we can try to reproduce the problem on our side.

What can you tell me about the device?  Does it run on the USB bus?  Does the drive report itself as an IDE drive?  Is it solid state or does it the kind with a disk inside?  I'd like to avoid getting into brand names, but is there anything otherwise unusual about the system?  How old or new is the system's model?

With your environment, are you installing this to one machine or several?  Until we figure out the problem, would it be possible to install to a different drive and image it across to the CF? (note that the bus type would have to match for this to work)

Brendan
    Wednesday, March 3, 2010 7:10 PM
  • Hello Brandan

thanks for your respond.
    I have usb card reader, which support several diffrent cards. The computer can recognise my card, but i dont know why pc can recognise only 6,6gb (my card  is 8gb). The card and the card reader is new. I have POSready 2009

I am installing in one machine.

jm
    Friday, March 5, 2010 8:51 AM
  • JM,

There is a mix of technologies here with your USB reader and Compact Flash.  Typically a Compact Flash device announces as an IDE device, and may in fact do so in this scenario.  However, the USB card reader presents a unique challenge.  In order to boot from a device on the USB Bus your installation MUST use a special bootable USB stack.

Try installing to a USB Flash Device (Memory Stick) and get POSReady running there then transfer the image to the Compact Flash storage device.

I believe you would have better luck with an internal card reader as opposed to a USB reader in order to remove the USB bus from the situation..

Terry Warwick
    Microsoft
    Friday, March 5, 2010 2:28 PM
  • Hi jm,

I was just chatting with Terry and we remembered one thing you'll need to do too: the CF will need to be formatted for booting before imaging. 

This isn't so hard, the tools needed are on the installation CD.  If you are running Windows 7 or Vista, format the drive using Explorer then run bootsect.exe.  If you're running XP, run ufdprep.exe.  Both have similar options but be sure to specify NTFS.

Success wise, I'm not sure if this will work however.  Our testing focused on CF through PCI which is more common on embedded systems.  There have been cases where your environment worked but it's going to be harder to get working.

Brendan
    Saturday, March 6, 2010 12:54 AM
  • Hello
    i have found the solution. I have bought new cf card and now works like a charme ,)
    thanks for all your help

jm
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 12:36 PM
  • Anyone know what CF cards work best? My Transcend 133x is supposed to be UDMA but doesn't work on a CF to SATA converter card.
    Friday, February 10, 2012 3:13 AM
  • I would suggest CF through IDE.

Terry Warwick, Microsoft

Friday, February 10, 2012 5:12 AM
  • CF from Transcend, WinSystems (www.winsystems.com) , and Western Digital have been reported to work well for booting OS images. Others may have other recomendations.

-Sean

www.sjjmicro.com / www.seanliming.com / www.annabooks.com, Book Author - Pro Guide to WES 7, XP Embedded Advanced, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Friday, February 10, 2012 6:08 AM
  • Just boot with iso and press any key for prompt

run ufdprep.exe c:

Yes and just boot again..

Friday, February 9, 2018 12:36 PM