App-V 5.0 sequencing ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 with SP1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I am trying to sequence ArcGIS Desktop 10.1 with SP1 from an msi admin install with SP1 already applied.
    It sequences fine but opening ArcMap, it errors that GSWDLL32.dll is missing. In the screenshot attached I have procmon running and a text file with the locations where the dll exists but procmon shows it searching for the file in multiple locations but not within the VFS\Systemx86 folder. I have sequenced on both Win 7 x86 and x64, both with the same error. Any advice would be appreciated?

error screenshot

Thanks

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 12:09 PM

Answers

• Like AutoCAD, ArcGIS 10.1 (with or without the ArcGIS service pack) does not appear to be sequencable under either 4.6 or 5.0 at this time.  I have an open ticket on this app for about 7 months now with MS also. 

The symptoms I see are different, but once you get past this, I think you'll run into the same problems I see.

At one level, the symptoms are similar -- you eliminate the VC Runtime and Framework issues, and you get the app thinking it can't find something that is right in front of it's nose.  I would recommend holding off until you hear that we have a solution.

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "The Client Book" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )

Friday, April 5, 2013 2:47 PM

All replies

• Hello,

During sequencing - I would copy the file to a location which is being searched. Perhaps the current working directory of the application?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 12:11 PM
  • I have considered doing so but it takes ages to sequence and may then result in other dll's not being found as well. I will try this anyway.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 12:37 PM
  • This has not worked because in order to add a file to the package you need to "Update application in existing package". At this point the sequencer extracts the package to the original folder locations as if it is installed locally not virtualised. Therefore the App-V folders are not available to add the DLL's to the correct folder.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 3:19 PM
  • Hello,

If that's a problem for you, why not just start from scratch to verify that it works?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:43 AM
  • Hi

If Windows could not locate a DLL file it will search the file in different locations. The search order is documented by the following article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms682586(v=vs.85).aspx#standard_search_order_for_desktop_applications.

Because the first directories where the DLL is search is the same folder as the executable was started, I would try to place the DLL in this folder.

Daniel

Monday, April 1, 2013 1:11 PM
  • Like AutoCAD, ArcGIS 10.1 (with or without the ArcGIS service pack) does not appear to be sequencable under either 4.6 or 5.0 at this time.  I have an open ticket on this app for about 7 months now with MS also. 

The symptoms I see are different, but once you get past this, I think you'll run into the same problems I see.

At one level, the symptoms are similar -- you eliminate the VC Runtime and Framework issues, and you get the app thinking it can't find something that is right in front of it's nose.  I would recommend holding off until you hear that we have a solution.

Tim Mangan MVP for App-V and Citrix CTP Author of AppV books: "The Client Book" and "OSD Reference Book" (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books )

Friday, April 5, 2013 2:47 PM
  • Hi Tim

Thanks for letting me know, if you ever receive a solution please could you let me know.

Thanks

Monday, April 8, 2013 8:47 AM
  • 10.1 is sequenceable under 4.6. Here's my recipie:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/prescriptiveguidance/thread/9d21c677-e610-48de-ab5f-22ac2505e85f

I was completely SOL on 5.0 though, as well as with a lot of other apps that worked fine on 4.6 but broke in 5.0. User preferences are also really hard to manage in 5.0 especially in an RDS environment, I like the single file per application rather than this folder tree that goes into local appdata.

5.0 needs a lot of work, it's gonna be 5.5 or 6.0 before I move up to it. I love the powershell management but the limitations are too much to justify an upgrade.

-- Justin Grote Sr. Systems Engineer En Pointe Global Services

Friday, April 19, 2013 5:57 PM
  • Hi Tim,

We are planning to Sequence ArcGIS 10.2  with App v 5 SP 3. Require your advise whether the application can be sequenced?

Regards,

Manju

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 2:51 PM
  • Whether this works in the real real world deployment (with licensing) remains to be seen, but I've managed to get arcmap/arcglobe to launch from shortcuts  within an app v 5.1 sequence. 

Initially I had the same gswdll32.DLL error on launch, however taking on board advice from Daniels post within this thread I created a transform (MST) to duplicate this DLL to the arcgis bin folder. Resequenced, tested deployment... Now a different DLL was the problem... I duplicated this other file, and hey presto, arcgis/arcglobe launch with splash screen then the licensing dialogue appears.

Note I did not launch any shortcuts during sequencing as I found that this crashed the sequencer and forced a VM machine restart!

Hope this helps others

Brian

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 8:25 PM
  • You can copy the GSWDLL32.dll to %windir%\syswow64 or system32 folder on the local computer. I have tried this with ArcGIS 10.3  (sequenced with App-V 5.1) and it works fine.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2015 12:31 PM
  • Actually I have AutoCAD 2019 Sequenced and working on our network.. :)
    Thursday, August 16, 2018 1:04 PM