none
"Access an Exchange Server" using SmartCard RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using the Power Query for Excel add-in. I'm attemping to pull data using the ribbon option "From Other Sources -> From Microsoft Exchange". I'm presented with a prompt asking for Email and password once i have choosen "From MS Exchange". My organization uses SmartCards so we don't use a password. Is there a way i can authenticate using a smartcard?

Thank you!

Thursday, June 26, 2014 8:30 PM

Answers

• The credential dialog doesn't ask for a user name; it asks for an email address. What happens if you put your email address and leave the password blank?

Do you know who the vendor is for the smart card signin?

My apologizes, i ment Email/Password. We don't use passwords for anything. We use SmartCards for a single sign-on for everything.

Leaving the password field blank returns the expected "The credentials provided are invalid".

I don't know where you're going with the vendor but no, i don't know them.

This might be a problem with the SmartCard vendor process.

Please submit this feedback to the Power Query team using the Smile/Frown Feedback button in the UI.

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:53 PM
    Owner

All replies

• If you use the same credentials to log into Windows itself, you may be able to connect to Exchange by leaving the password field blank.
    Friday, June 27, 2014 1:22 PM
  • If you use the same credentials to log into Windows itself, you may be able to connect to Exchange by leaving the password field blank.
    Thanks for the reply Curt. Unfortunately, we use SmartCards. No username/passwords are ever used.
    Friday, June 27, 2014 4:36 PM
  • The credential dialog doesn't ask for a user name; it asks for an email address. What happens if you put your email address and leave the password blank?

Friday, June 27, 2014 5:56 PM

My apologizes, i ment Email/Password. We don't use passwords for anything. We use SmartCards for a single sign-on for everything.

Leaving the password field blank returns the expected "The credentials provided are invalid".

Friday, June 27, 2014 8:54 PM

This might be a problem with the SmartCard vendor process.

Please submit this feedback to the Power Query team using the Smile/Frown Feedback button in the UI.

Thanks!

Ed Price, Azure & Power BI Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 9:53 PM
    Owner