WSUS Questions Regarding WSUS for Laptop Carts in Education Environment RRS feed

• Question

• I had a related post open, but it was marked as answered and i required a bit more information so here goes...

For example, at our elementary school we have 10+ carts of 25 laptops that are used almost daily.  The students will grab a laptop, never take them home, and put them back in the cart when they're done.  Issue now, they're getting updates installed and having to wait a long while...especially those laptops that have not been used in a few months/etc.  
    For this situation, what all settings would you recommend to enable to make sure that while these laptops are in use randomly throughout the day that they check for/download updates...so that when they close the screen and put them into sleep/hibernation mode they will WOL and install?  Also, will WOL work through the wireless adapter? These laptops will not be plugged up hardwire.

The settings I would think would need to be set would be as follows:

Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake up the system to install scheduled updates : Enabled

Automatic Updates detection frequency : does this need to be set to something more frequently, like 1 hour...or will it automatically check for updates when it boots up/a user logs on?  Thoughts?

Allow Automatic Updates immediate Installation : Enabled

Is there anything else you would recommend my configuring / enabling for a situation where we do not want the end user (students) to be stuck waiting for "installing update 36 of 180"?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.  THANK YOU!

Monday, December 15, 2014 6:43 PM

Answers

• Hi Jon,

>>WOL work through the wireless adapter?

Yes, for detailed information, please refer to the link below,

Power Management for Network Devices in Windows 7

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee617165(v=WS.10).aspx

>>Automatic Updates detection frequency : does this need to be set to something more frequently, like 1 hour...or will it automatically check for updates when it boots up/a user logs on?  Thoughts?

No. Just leave it by default unless you have some reasons to change it.

>>Is there anything else you would recommend my configuring / enabling for a situation where we do not want the end user (students) to be stuck waiting for "installing update 36 of 180"?

Please make sure that all of the laptops are connected with the external power supply. If the system is running on battery power when Automatic Updates wakes it, updates are not installed and the system automatically returns to hibernation in two minutes.

Best Regards.

Steven Lee Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:13 PM