none
DPM 2012 R2 Hyper V Cluster Backup Slow on large volumes for express full backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently installed DPM 2012R2 with the latest rollup update installed.

Data is backed up to iSCi NAS

Server has 16GB RAM

4GB Teamed Network Connection

Processor      Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2430 0 @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)

I have setup up a protection group for our sql servers via the DPM agent, backup and restore speeds excellent.

Over the last week i have added some general hyper v servers by backing up the cluster itself, this again worked well.

I have added our main file server, this has 2.7TB worth of clustered storage available over 6 disks on the server

The initial replica was created in around 7.5 hours, which i was very impressed with.... however the express backups (i understand to be like incremental) are extremely slow 11 hours today for just 14GB of changed data.

Has anyone had this problem? At this rate i will need to go back to backup exec as it is just not manageable!

Thanks in advance

Danny

Friday, May 29, 2015 2:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is a lot of aspects to consider when choosing synchronization but the most important is

* What is the maximum amount of data that could be lost if I restore from the most recent backup? *
    If you have an synchronization every hour. That means you can create a recovery Point from that time and would only loose a maximum of 60min of data.

I would recommend you to try different synchronizations frequencies and see how long each job take to complete. For example: You want more frequent synchronization if the job take 1,5h to complete when you have specified hourly sync-jobs.

After that, you can define the setting that suits your organization best.

Kind Regards
    Markus

• Marked as answer by Danny_t65 Monday, June 1, 2015 12:12 PM
    Monday, June 1, 2015 11:59 AM

All replies

• Hi Danny,

Try increasing the synchronization frequency for the protection group the file-server is located in and see if it helps!

DPM are looking at changes made on the file block level to make sure only the changed data is transferred from your file-server to your DPM-server, but if you have larges volumes with a lot of changes you will need to have a more frequent synchronization to decrease the time of your full express.

Kind Regards
    Markus

Monday, June 1, 2015 8:34 AM
  • Thanks Markus i will give this a go, would synchronization every hour be overkill do you think? 

Kind Regards

Danny

Monday, June 1, 2015 11:08 AM
  • Hi,

There is a lot of aspects to consider when choosing synchronization but the most important is

* What is the maximum amount of data that could be lost if I restore from the most recent backup? *
    If you have an synchronization every hour. That means you can create a recovery Point from that time and would only loose a maximum of 60min of data.

I would recommend you to try different synchronizations frequencies and see how long each job take to complete. For example: You want more frequent synchronization if the job take 1,5h to complete when you have specified hourly sync-jobs.

After that, you can define the setting that suits your organization best.

Kind Regards
    Markus

• Marked as answer by Danny_t65 Monday, June 1, 2015 12:12 PM
    Monday, June 1, 2015 11:59 AM
  • Thanks Markus,

I will give this a go, thanks for your help.

Kind Regards

Danny

Monday, June 1, 2015 12:12 PM