none
Can I run the Connect Computer wizard again on a member server?

Question

• Greetings, folks.

I have a LAN with 2 physical servers. The first is the DC running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. The second database server is a member server running Windows Server 2008 R2. These two server have been happily working together for a couple of years, and the member server was joined via the Connect Computer wizard/software.

Over the past weekend, both server were completed powered off and moved into a new rack. In the process of powering up these servers again, something seems to have gone amiss. The member server still shows up as "Online" device in the Essentials Server's dashboard, but the formerly shared folders on the member server are not accessible from the Essentials server or the client PCs. I cannot remotely login to the member server via Access Anywhere as I could previously. I can ping the member server from within the LAN.

Can I rerun the Client Connector for the member server {keeping the existing name for the member server and its permanent IP address}, or is that going to really mess things up for the users and wipe out existing shares and so forth?

Thanks for any advice!

Monday, August 07, 2017 6:01 AM

Answers

• Hi,

>the member server was joined via the Connect Computer wizard/software.
    As you mentioned that this member server had connected to Essentials using Connector.exe. if you want to re-connect this server to Essentials, please dis-connect the server from Essentials first, re-start both servers(optional) and re-connect. 

Reference official steps as “Disconnect your computer from or reconnect your computer to the server” mentioned:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj713510(v=ws.11).aspx#BKMK_14

During this process, there is no necessary to change server name or IP address. Also, please remember to back up important data/system status before any change.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by PVJ5 Sunday, August 13, 2017 2:15 PM
    Tuesday, August 08, 2017 8:28 AM

All replies

• On other LAN connected machine :

Open computer management > Right click on computer management > Connect to other computer > Put IP or name of member server. Check if anything showing in shares under shared folders.

Monday, August 07, 2017 6:20 AM
  • OK, I tried that both ways, but I just get message "computer cannot be managed. The network path was not found."
    Monday, August 07, 2017 1:36 PM
  • Hi,

>the member server was joined via the Connect Computer wizard/software.
    As you mentioned that this member server had connected to Essentials using Connector.exe. if you want to re-connect this server to Essentials, please dis-connect the server from Essentials first, re-start both servers(optional) and re-connect. 

Reference official steps as “Disconnect your computer from or reconnect your computer to the server” mentioned:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj713510(v=ws.11).aspx#BKMK_14

During this process, there is no necessary to change server name or IP address. Also, please remember to back up important data/system status before any change.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by PVJ5 Sunday, August 13, 2017 2:15 PM
    Tuesday, August 08, 2017 8:28 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Friday, August 11, 2017 9:25 AM
  • Thanks, Eve, for your assistance. As it turns out, one last try at powering down the whole LAN {routers, switches, servers, etc.} and restarting devices one by one seems to have resolved the problem. 
    Sunday, August 13, 2017 2:15 PM
  • Hi,

I am glad to hear that your issue was successfully resolved. Also, thank you for taking the time to share the details, it might be helpful for other people who has the similar problem.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, August 14, 2017 1:20 AM