none
Entering % Complete similar to Primavera's Physical % Complete (Steps) and Units % Complete RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Technet!

I have been providing consulting work for construction engineers who have been exposed to Primavera P6. They are looking at using Project Online as it is required by some of their clients and also because the licenses are more affordable and so the entire project team can acquire licenses and collaborate instead of just having a single "Scheduler" with access to the Project Schedule. 

Here are the most common questions I encounter:

1. How to put distributed loading of Material cost to a Task?

E.g., Task1 requires a Generator. We need to pay 20% of the generator upfront as downpayment, 40% on the second month, 40% upon completion of Task1. MS Project has the "Accrued At" field but are limited to only "Start", "Prorated", or "End". In Primavera P6, this seems to be easily addressed by the function "Steps" for Physical % Complete. 

If I were to recreate this scenario in MS Project, I will need to create 2 Generator Resources -- one Accrued At "Start" and the other Accrued At "End". Then I will create a Task Group called Task1 and this will have 3 SubTasks - 1st SubTask is Generator Downpayment (with Generator-1 Accrued at Beginning as Resource), 2nd SubTask is Generator Month1 (with Generator-2 Accrued at End as Resource), and 3rd SubTask is Generator Month2 (with Generator-2 Accrued at End as Resource). This is not sexy at all and having 2 Generator Resources will just add confusion to our report. 

2. How to input % completion based on Materials consumed?

E.g., Task 2 requires loading of 10 sacks of cement into the truck. The workers report to their manager by saying "8 out of 10 sacks have been loaded". They don't report "80% of the sacks have been loaded". Is there similar function or workaround we can use for MS Project? In Primavera P6, the function "Units % Complete" can be used.

Previous to me asking this here, we have been telling our clients to do the computation manually in Excel so that they can input the equivalent % in MS Project. I'm hoping to provide a better solution that would not require them to use a separate tool. 

Here is a link to Primavera P6's % Complete Types:

https://tensix.com/2013/07/primavera-p6-percent-complete-types/

Thanks again to anyone/everyone in advance! I've been searching the net for days now and Technet forums is my last resort! I apologize if i offended anyone for using another software's name in this forum :)

Thursday, October 26, 2017 5:26 PM

Answers

• John --

First of all, I doubt anyone will be offended in this forum because you mentioned Primavera P6.  If they are offended, too bad.  Your questions are legitimate about how to use Microsoft Project to model certain behaviors in another software application.  Here are a couple of ideas for you:

1.  Create a Material resource named Generator with a Material Label called Each and $0.00 entered in the Standard Rate column.  Create an Expense Cost resource named Generator Expense.  Assign the Generator to the task with a Units value of 1.  Assign the Generator Expense cost resource to the task as well, but with $0.00 for the Cost.  Apply the Task Usage view, apply the Cost table, and add the Cost details to the timephased grid on the right.  Make sure the timephased grid is set to the Days level of zoom.  In the Cost row of the timephased grid for the Generator Expense resource, enter the value that represents 20% of the total price of the generator.  Scroll to the first day of the second month and enter 40% of the generator price in the Cost row of the timephased grid for the Generator Expense resource.  Scroll the timephased grid to the last day of the task and enter the final 40% of the generator price in the Cost row of the timephased grid for the Generator Expense resource.  The procedure you are doing in the Task Usage view is called manually contouring the Cost.

2.  Create a Material resource named Concrete with a Material Label called Bags.  Enter the cost of one bag of concrete in the Standard Rate column.  Assign the Concrete resource to the task and enter the number of bags you will need in the Units column.  Navigate to the Task Usage view and apply the Work table.  In the Actual Work column for the Concrete resource, enter 8 to indicate that 8 bags have been loaded.  This way, you will not need to figure out the percentage.

Just a couple of ideas for you.  I hope others in this forum will give you their thoughts as well.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, October 27, 2017 4:06 PM

All replies

• John --

First of all, I doubt anyone will be offended in this forum because you mentioned Primavera P6.  If they are offended, too bad.  Your questions are legitimate about how to use Microsoft Project to model certain behaviors in another software application.  Here are a couple of ideas for you:

1.  Create a Material resource named Generator with a Material Label called Each and $0.00 entered in the Standard Rate column.  Create an Expense Cost resource named Generator Expense.  Assign the Generator to the task with a Units value of 1.  Assign the Generator Expense cost resource to the task as well, but with $0.00 for the Cost.  Apply the Task Usage view, apply the Cost table, and add the Cost details to the timephased grid on the right.  Make sure the timephased grid is set to the Days level of zoom.  In the Cost row of the timephased grid for the Generator Expense resource, enter the value that represents 20% of the total price of the generator.  Scroll to the first day of the second month and enter 40% of the generator price in the Cost row of the timephased grid for the Generator Expense resource.  Scroll the timephased grid to the last day of the task and enter the final 40% of the generator price in the Cost row of the timephased grid for the Generator Expense resource.  The procedure you are doing in the Task Usage view is called manually contouring the Cost.

2.  Create a Material resource named Concrete with a Material Label called Bags.  Enter the cost of one bag of concrete in the Standard Rate column.  Assign the Concrete resource to the task and enter the number of bags you will need in the Units column.  Navigate to the Task Usage view and apply the Work table.  In the Actual Work column for the Concrete resource, enter 8 to indicate that 8 bags have been loaded.  This way, you will not need to figure out the percentage.

Just a couple of ideas for you.  I hope others in this forum will give you their thoughts as well.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, October 27, 2017 4:06 PM
  • Thanks again for responding, Dale! Your suggestions have given us ideas to play around with. Hope to hear from others too!

**PS - and just today, the client was asking if MS Project can also do Resource Curves like Primavera! What a pain! :D

Saturday, October 28, 2017 10:32 AM