New Site Collection gives "The security validation for this page is invalid." Error RRS feed

• Question

• I created a new site collection a couple of days ago. Now when I wish to modify the navigation (_layouts/AreaNavigationSettings.aspx) I receive "The security validation for this page is invalid". There is no custom code so I don't know why this error is coming up. Since its security related is there any validation that I can perform.? 

Thanks

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, August 15, 2011 6:10 PM Title made impersonal
    Monday, August 15, 2011 5:54 PM

Answers

All replies

• On further investigation is would appear that this issue is in all environments dev, test and prod. It was encountered after applying patch 2544399 for WSS and MOSS. Has one else experienced this issue?
    Monday, August 15, 2011 8:57 PM
  • Did you check this link http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sridhara/archive/2008/06/21/the-security-validation-for-this-page-is-invalid-error-when-updating-objects-through-sharepoint-object-model.aspx 
    Thanks & Regards, Soumyadev | Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:17 AM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 9:05 PM
  • To me it seems that this is a "known issue" there are currently 2 workarounds that I have found roaming the web, though it seems they may be 2010 resolutions. No confirmation on whether they work for MOSS 2007 yet as far as I can tell. One of them can be found in the blog mentioned above, the other is a bit more simple but much less secure.

-- Turn off the web page security validation for that web application, though it is a best practice (and more secure) to leave it enabled.

I would not recommend either of these if you do not know what you are doing. There could also be security risk involved. It would be prudent to report this issue to MS asap. If you choose to proceed with one of these workarounds, I would test them extensively to make sure they do not break anything else in your farm.

I would recommend waiting until a hotfix is released or a permenant resolution is found.

• Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:17 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:17 AM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 10:37 PM
  • I tested and validated the workaround that was suggested in the link above and it works like a charm. Disabling the site collection wasn't really an option. Thanks for everyone's input.
    • Marked as answer by mwhite01 Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:18 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:17 AM
    Wednesday, August 17, 2011 6:18 PM