Shared Computer Activation and Licensing Limits RRS feed

• Question

• According to Microsoft documentation:

"Activation limits: Normally, users can install and activate Office 365 ProPlus only on a limited number of devices, such as 5 PCs. Using Office 365 ProPlus with shared computer activation enabled doesn't count against that limit."

When a user obtains a licensing token using Shared Computer Activation, the following entry is shown under "Office installs" for that user in the Admin portal:

Does this entry count towards the 5-install limit or is it just an indicator that a licensing token currently exists for that user? I have not tested whether I can activate 5 devices + the listed, however it is good to know whether the documentation is accurate. 

Monday, May 20, 2019 8:47 PM

Answers

• Okay, I figured it out - this entry is not an entry at all. It shows Microsoft Windows on the previous row because the user has activated Office on personal PCs and the name is just too long to be fitted in the cell, so it begins on the previous row. I checked with a user that has no Office activations at all but has a licensing token, and the list is empty. So, mystery solved. Thanks for replying. :)
    Monday, May 20, 2019 9:22 PM

All replies

• you'll want to look through this document: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployoffice/overview-of-shared-computer-activation-for-office-365-proplus

Shared Computer activation requires installing the application as a Shared Activation device or modifying the registry to enabled it as such. The link above has more details on what you need to do. If you have already done that, then that activation should not count against that user.

Monday, May 20, 2019 9:03 PM
  • Yes, I have Shared Computer Activation enabled with the OCT and additionally using Group Policy for cases where it might have been installed separately. The question is whether this entry in the Properties of the user counts against the limit. For example, the user might have logged on to several computers and obtained an licensing token which according to Microsoft is allowed on "reasonable number of shared computers in a given time period". Is this "reasonable amount" counted as 1 in the user's activation limit or is it not counted at all? That's the interesting question in my opinion. :) I confirmed that no matter if I have been issued 1 or more licensing tokens, the entry shown in the Properties is only one.

Monday, May 20, 2019 9:08 PM
  • Okay, I figured it out - this entry is not an entry at all. It shows Microsoft Windows on the previous row because the user has activated Office on personal PCs and the name is just too long to be fitted in the cell, so it begins on the previous row. I checked with a user that has no Office activations at all but has a licensing token, and the list is empty. So, mystery solved. Thanks for replying. :)
    Monday, May 20, 2019 9:22 PM