Windows XP Clients connect fine remotely but Windows Easy Print is causing issues when printing emails and other information RRS feed

• Question

• The users just upgraded and migrated to Windows Server 2008 R2 for their new terminal services have been seeing many issues with regard to slow printing / no printing. The initial thought on the fix was to go in and Disable Windows Easy print so that the system could use the printer driver that is available on the vendors site for Windows Server 2008 or Windows XP.
    I have a user with a Dell 1720N and a Dell 1700 that another user has is conflicting.

The Dell 1700n is out of life, no longer warranted so Dell isn't updating their info to support this issue on 2008 R2.

There is a user in another state that connects to the Dell 1700n via USB cable then will connect to the printer through Remote Desktop Services to print email and other application data. When he goes to print, he is finding that in some cases the print jobs print out to the 1720 which is in another state, but is on the same network where the terminal server is in that other state.

Printing locally outside of the terminal server is without issue.

The dell 1700n and the 1720n printers are not showing up when in the terminal server it is greyed out and using Windows Easy Print Driver. How can I prevent this? That driver doesn't appear to be compatible with both devices.

Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:14 AM

All replies

• Hello Patrick,

Please consider to disable “Use Terminal Services Easy Print printer driver first” GP setting and install the printer driver on both client side and the server side. In that case, you can use the printer auto redirection instead of Easy Print feature. The GP setting is located at:

For Windows Server 2008 DC:

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Terminal Services\Terminal Server\Printer Redirection

For Windows Server 2008 R2 DC:

Computer Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Printer Redirection

For more information, please refer to:

TechNet: Printer Redirection

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731963(WS.10).aspx

Thanks.

·         Lionel Chen

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfd@microsoft.com

Friday, December 18, 2009 10:30 AM
  • Hi Patrick,

As the thread has been quiet for a while, I am write to ask if the issue get any update.

Please follow up here if you meet any difficulties. We'd like to help you.

Thanks.

·         Lionel Chen

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 3:16 AM
  • I am seeing the same issue on my Windows 2008 Domain with Windows 2008 RC2 RDP Hosts. 

I have went into the local GPEdit and disabeled the following: This policy setting allows you to specify whether the Remote Desktop Easy Print printer driver is used first to install all client printers.   and still nothing prints...

I have two different hosts and this issue just started a few days ago... however, I was playing with GPO's...  The error I am seeing is:

Log Name:      Microsoft-Windows-PrintService/Admin
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-PrintService
    Date:          12/28/2009 1:45:39 PM
    Event ID:      372
    Task Category: Printing a document
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic Spooler Event,Document Print Job
    User:          DOMAIN\administrator
    Computer:      TS01
    Description:
    The document Test Page, owned by administrator, failed to print on printer Dell Laser Printer 3100cn PCL6 (redirected 1). Try to print the document again, or restart the print spooler.
    Data type: RAW. Size of the spool file in bytes: 141047. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 1. Number of pages printed: 0. Client computer: \\TS01. Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 5. Access is denied.

Any help would be greatly appericated...

Randy

Monday, December 28, 2009 8:10 PM
  • Wow.. not sure why but after granting local server 'authinicated users' all rights to the print server (under print server roles) printing started working from within RDP ....

Maybe it will help someone else.

Randy
    Monday, December 28, 2009 10:13 PM
  • I am still working on it. I didn't get alerted that you were updating the article.

I will try your recommendations now.
    Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:06 AM
  • The server will print with the policy set or not set. The problem is that the HP Printer I use is only offered through a HP Universal Print Driver. There's not a specific driver anymore. So all printers that are new will likely not have the appropriate drivers for that specific model going forth. It seems that a one driver fits all approach is just around the corner.

The printing still hangs. I am printing e-mails from Outlook 2007. Basic text emails with no images, the server is locking up, going to "not responding" and then will print about 20 - 30 seconds later in some cases.
    I have even seen Word attachments in emails print faster than the emails themselves.

Any ideas?

When I go to install drivers for the printer it comes up with :

HP Universal Printing PS

or

HP Universal Printing PS (v5.0)

Either way, I get issues when connecting to the server to print. The customer is getting mighty p-d that they invested a ton of money in this new server to have it work 1/2 as fast as a Windows Terminal Server Running Server 2003.... I really need your help.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 3:21 AM
  • When you say "install the printer driver on both client side and server side," in the case of XP 32bit client and 2008 R2 64bit RDS server, do you install the 64 bit version of the driver on the server or a matching 32 bit version?

Thanks!
    Thursday, February 25, 2010 10:15 PM
  • Hello Partrick,

We haven't heard from you for a while, could you leave us a note to let know if the issue get any updates?

Thanks and have a nice day.

Lionel Chen

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 3:31 AM
  • Hey guys, any update? I have the same problem.

But only in 1 place, in 3 places (same servers, TS and AD) print very well.

Waiting for any update.

TKS

Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:10 PM
  • I have a comment and threads on trhis issue which may help all of you.  I do not think even Microsoft is totally aware of the issues we face.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/875745bb-ece3-4113-ab56-543c993d8151

You cannot use PS drivers at all especially with colour printers.  YOU MUST USE PCL drivers on the local machine whether it be 32 bit XP or any other.  Easy Print or and 64 bit does not like / support PS drivers in redirected forms.

You must install the drivers on the server to use colour printers.  Even monochrome printers prefer PCL drivers on Easy Print systems or 64 bit use.

Hope this helps but my testing shows the bloody printer manufacturers just botched the 32 bit drivers without writing proper 64 bit drivers.

Marcus

Sunday, June 27, 2010 6:47 AM
  • We found this problem only with PS print drivers NOT PCL drivers and always with EVERY COLOUR printer we use.  The bloody printer companies have not made proper 64 bit print drivers and are using rehashed 32 bit PCL drivers which give poor graphics.

I have a thread here http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/875745bb-ece3-4113-ab56-543c993d8151  and this mmay help all of you a lot.

The issue here I believ is NOT Microsoft (for once we can let them off the hook.)

Marcus
    Sunday, June 27, 2010 7:09 AM