Window's 7 Printer Spooler... I can restart it in Services, but it always stops again. How to permanently correct this issue!? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP with Windows 7. It's barely 2 years old, and I get these error messages that say something along the lines of "Printer Spooler" add a printer, whatever.

So I googled this a month ago, and did the whole Services, restart spooler.

However, I have to do this, EVERY SINGLE TIME I want to print anything. It is not a permanent fix. Anyone have any ideas?!

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Tuesday, October 4, 2011 12:19 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Printing)
    Sunday, October 2, 2011 4:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Sometimes, a latest printer driver would fix this kind of problem; try to update the printer driver to the latest.

Meanwhile, please install the HP print diagnostic utility to check if it would be helpful to fix this issue:

HP Print Diagnostic Utility

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:57 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sometimes, a latest printer driver would fix this kind of problem; try to update the printer driver to the latest.

Meanwhile, please install the HP print diagnostic utility to check if it would be helpful to fix this issue:

HP Print Diagnostic Utility

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Alex Zhao

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:57 AM
    Tuesday, October 4, 2011 7:35 AM
  • Hi,

Go to Start / Run and type in "services.msc" without quotation marks, then press Enter or click OK.

In the window that opens (Services) look for "Print Spooler" on the right

Right-click "Print Spooler" and select "Properties".
    bl
    Click on the "Recovery" tab and change all 3 drop-down boxes to "Restart The Service".

Make sure the 2 text boxes underneath say "1" in them.

Click Ok until you are back at the Services window, close it and you're good to go.

Go back into the properties of the "Print Spooler" tab and be sure to click Start to restart the Print Spooler service and it will restart the service immediately.

The Print spooler depends on the Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service. Is this service disabled? Go to services.msc look for RPC. Check state: Automatic

Wednesday, October 5, 2011 6:00 AM