Inheriting Premissions RRS feed

• Question

• I have switched off the Inheriting permissions within a sub site. When assigning a user to a permissions group that is within the site. When i check the groups that are with the other sites the user has been added to the group within each site.

My understanding was that if i stopped the inheritance, then the changes that i make to a group within that site should not be disseminated throughout the site collection. Please can you confirm whether this is correct or not?

Friday, January 6, 2012 1:42 PM

Answers

• After breaking inheritance, you can either remove all the users and groups within your subsite, or assign them different permissions (for the subsite). Now whenever a user is added to the existing groups, this happens through out the site collection, but within the subsite where the inheritance is broken, it will have the permissions which are set explicitly for the subsite.

It will be clear with an example. Consider the following scenario

There is a group named "Group1", which has Add List Items permissions though out the Site.

Now consider a sub-site named "Site1", for this site you break the inheritance, and for "Group1" you assign Read only permissions.

Now when a new user is added it "Group1", he will have Add List Items permissions on root site, and will have only read  access on the sub-site "Site1" for which inheritance is broken.

Ram Prasad Meenavalli | MCTS SharePoint 2010 | MCPD SharePoint 2010
    Friday, January 6, 2012 2:01 PM