Using Backup Database Task in SSIS packages RRS feed

• Question

• When I create a database maintenance plan in SSMS, I can modify the list of databases for the 'Backup Database Task' just fine: Clicking on the drop down 'Database(s)' gives me a dialog in which I can switch between 'all / system / user / specific'.

Now, I try todo the same using a BIDS/SSIS project. I can drag the same task on the design surface, open the edit dialog but if I click on the dropdown, the whole dialog is closed (instead of showing the various options mentioned above).

Does anyone else have this same issue? Is there a solution / work-around? I checked this on about 5 different servers running SQL 2005 with either sp2 or sp3

My goal is to add some additional logic around the backup task but I would like to re-use as much as possible from the task (e.g. unique name generating, subfolder per database, etc.).

Anyone having a solution / explanation?
    Monday, June 29, 2009 1:45 PM

Answers

• Within ssms, you have an implicit server connection to the server instance you are connected to. That is why you get the list of db's. In ssis, you need to create a server connection first. That will give your back-up task the context it needs.

JP
    • Marked as answer by kpijnenb Monday, June 29, 2009 2:51 PM
    Monday, June 29, 2009 2:00 PM