Enabling an auto answering rule transfer without prompt RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys -

I'm expecting this isn't possible, but I have a scenario where I need all unanswered calls from Lync to be redirected to the front counter staff (external number). It's not possible to configure this default call forwarding functionality within Lync en-masse... unfortunately.

Seemingly, the only solution that provides default call forwarding on unanswered calls from Lync is when Exchange's Unified Messaging is enabled. Voicemail however is the exact scenario this customer is trying to avoid (they hate voicemail, go figure).

I have been experimenting with call answering rules within UM, and have managed to have the unanswered call route to UM, then the personal attendant picks up, and prompts the user to have the call transferred to reception (Push 1, Push 2 etc....). This is OK, but I'd prefer the transfer just to be automatic.

Question: Is it possible to have the Exchange UM personal AA automatically forward the call to an external phone number (front counter), without any prompting for a keypress?

Can anyone else think of a way to have the calls automatically forwarded from Lync -> UM -> external phone number without any user prompts?

Regards, James

James Frost

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 1:29 PM

Answers

• So, I don't believe you're going to get UM to autoforward to another internal number without a key press.  The other option would be to change the "unanswered calls will go to" option in the Lync client in the call forwarding settings. The problem is that this can easily be changed.  To change that en-masse at an administrative level, you'll need to use sefautil.exe from the resource kit.  You could script that to run for each user setting /enablefwdnoanswer: at intervals in case it accidentally gets reset for anyone.

The other thought I have, and these are all hacks because there's not great native way of accomplishing what's being asked of you:  if you don't want voicemail at all, no UM period, this may work. In Lync there's a command New-CSVoiceMailReroutingConfiguration that's meant for branch offices who have a Lync server or SBA, but no local Exchange server.  In a WAN outage they can forward the voicemails calls to a PSTN number.  If you can break the connection between Lync and Exchange UM somehow, and set the PSTN number to be your front counter staff, you might be able to get this to work.  Not sure if you could easily pull that off, but it's a thought. 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425849.aspx

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by James Frost Monday, March 9, 2015 8:53 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:55 PM

All replies

• So, I don't believe you're going to get UM to autoforward to another internal number without a key press.  The other option would be to change the "unanswered calls will go to" option in the Lync client in the call forwarding settings. The problem is that this can easily be changed.  To change that en-masse at an administrative level, you'll need to use sefautil.exe from the resource kit.  You could script that to run for each user setting /enablefwdnoanswer: at intervals in case it accidentally gets reset for anyone.

The other thought I have, and these are all hacks because there's not great native way of accomplishing what's being asked of you:  if you don't want voicemail at all, no UM period, this may work. In Lync there's a command New-CSVoiceMailReroutingConfiguration that's meant for branch offices who have a Lync server or SBA, but no local Exchange server.  In a WAN outage they can forward the voicemails calls to a PSTN number.  If you can break the connection between Lync and Exchange UM somehow, and set the PSTN number to be your front counter staff, you might be able to get this to work.  Not sure if you could easily pull that off, but it's a thought. 

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg425849.aspx

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications

This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by James Frost Monday, March 9, 2015 8:53 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Thanks Anthony,

This was a great tip. I haven't been able to test it fully as I don't have a voice gateway/PSTN breakout solution in my lab, but the results look promising.

• I enabled the rerouting policy as suggested - noting that it insists on rerouting to an Exchange AutoAttendant or Subscriber Access number, you can't just enter in any old number (ie. front counter).
    • I then configured a broken HOSTS file entry on my Lync server to represent the Exchange UM machine, so signalling would break (which it did)
    • I then made a Lync to Lync call and left it unanswered - the call failed (as I have no where to reroute to in my lab), but after running Snooper I can see the following entry in the SIP headers

nexttarget="+998";routingtype="Attempting PSTN rerouting"

... which is very encouraging as +998 was my dummy AutoAttendant.

Once I have my SBC configured it should be fairly trivial to rewrite the Called Number to the actual front counter number. This is more for curiosity's sake at this point of time... but is interesting to note a possible solution here.

Thanks. again.

James

James Frost

• Edited by James Frost Thursday, December 4, 2014 1:19 PM
    Thursday, December 4, 2014 1:19 PM
  • As an update, I actually tested this once I had an SBC in my lab environment, and was able to successfully rewrite the Called number and send it to Front Counter.

Thanks for the tip Anthony.

James Frost

Monday, March 9, 2015 8:55 AM