Western Digital Passport External Hard Drive with Bit Locker Encryption Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I have encrypted my wd passport with bit locker password and I remember it as well.However yesterday after plugging the hard drive to the usb auto play or auto popup of asking the password did not happen.I plugged it into another computer where it asks for a password and after i enter the correct password the wizard disappears but computer goes into non responding state when i double click the drive or try to open its contents.I also tried to hit forgot my password and used the bitlocker recovery key but the same happens in the other computer. 

In my computer i went into control panel and tried to turn off bitlocker then decrypt drive appears but after i click it the computer hangs. 

I have important files in it.Please try to help.My computer is windows 7 ultimate and my other computer is windows 7 home premium

********Handy Information while troubleshooting*********

1)Bitlocker metadata is corrupt.

2)Parameter is incorrect

3)Dont have a key package or dont know where its location is.I know the password,also the recovery key and also the numerical password(which i got by manage-bde get protectors).

4)Installed the RSAT tools for windows 7 but cannot open AD users and computers as it gives error "Naming location cannot be ........"

5)I dont know where the .bek recovery key file is stored.I do know that when i try to reprint the recovery key ( i have it but it is a txt file).Is this correct?

Hope this info will be helpful for debugging

Thanks,

Sam

• Edited by SQL_SAM Monday, January 28, 2013 4:08 PM Added troubleshooting info
    Monday, January 28, 2013 12:05 AM

All replies

• Hi Sam,

I would like to suggest you to use the BitLocker Repair Tool to recover the drive.

Please note that you must have the following:

Recovery password

Recovery key file location

Recovery package file location and the corresponding recovery password

Recovery package file location and the corresponding recovery key file location

And, you must have an empty output volume of equal or larger size than the BitLocker-protected drive (whose contents will be completely overwritten after the repair operation).

More reference: Repair-bde.exe Parameter Reference

Hope that helps.

Vincent Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:21 AM
  • Hi Sam,

I would like to suggest you to use the BitLocker Repair Tool to recover the drive.

Please note that you must have the following:

Recovery password

Recovery key file location

Recovery package file location and the corresponding recovery password

Recovery package file location and the corresponding recovery key file location

And, you must have an empty output volume of equal or larger size than the BitLocker-protected drive (whose contents will be completely overwritten after the repair operation).

More reference: Repair-bde.exe Parameter Reference

Hope that helps.

Vincent Wang

Hi,

I have tried the below option

"To repair using a recovery password: 

repair-bde C: Z: -rp 062612-026103-175593-225830-027357-086526-362263-513414" 

but the drive keeps disconnecting and connects again.(i have checked the cable and it is not a cable problem).In the second attempt it says "successfully setup repair context.Found metadata at...Decrypting 1% and it is stuck there for hours"

1)I do have the recovery password(which I guess is the password I have setup for the drive)

2)Recovery key file location(I dont know where the recovery key file gets stored but when i reprint the key from control panel manage bitlocker it saves to atext file but when i pass this path as a parameter to the repair command it says " error:cannot read from the key etc..")

3) I dont have a recovery package

4)i do have an external hard drive of equal size which is empty and I am using to recover the data.

Please help.

Thanks,

Sam

• Edited by SQL_SAM Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:13 PM
    Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:12 PM
  • Hi Sam,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Regards,

Vincent Wang

Thursday, January 31, 2013 6:52 AM
  • Please try to do a clean boot(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796) to check whether third party applications cause the issue.

Please follow the best practices to enable BitLocker on USB drive:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff404223.aspx

If the issue still persists, please check whether there are any related application/system event logs, also please check whether there are any event logs under Event Viewer\Applications and Services Logs\Microsoft\Windows\BitLocker-DrivePreparationTool.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 9:14 AM
  • 您好,请问该问题是否已经成功解决?
    Monday, May 13, 2019 3:25 AM