Allocate a person on specific days RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to prepare a Project Plan in MS Project 2007.

I have 3 resources - Dev1, Dev2 and Dev3 and 2 tasks

HTML Prototype          5 days      31-01-11      04-02-11      Dev1, Dev2, Dev3       
    Dev Server Setup      4 days      31-01-11      03-02-11      Dev3

The 2nd task is done by Dev3 alone in 4 days (31 Jan to 3 Feb). The first task is done by Dev1 and Dev2 for 5 days  while Dev3 contributes only on the 5th Day. How can I depict this in MPP?

If it is mentioned in the above format, it shows Dev3 overallocated on 4 days. Please let me know how to resolve this.

Thank You
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 5:05 PM

Answers

• You can go to Resource Usage View and edit Dev 3 assignment for HTML Prototype in Yellow Timephased Data Sheet as :

31st         1 st      2nd      3rd      4th

0hrs         0         0         0          8 hrs * assuming that your Calendar is of 8 hrs/ day

Your Dev Server Setup would look like :

31           1         2           3

8             8         8           8

Hence When Work will be rolled up for Dev 3 in Resource Usage it won't be overallocated.

Sapna S
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 5:35 PM

All replies

• You can go to Resource Usage View and edit Dev 3 assignment for HTML Prototype in Yellow Timephased Data Sheet as :

31st         1 st      2nd      3rd      4th

0hrs         0         0         0          8 hrs * assuming that your Calendar is of 8 hrs/ day

Your Dev Server Setup would look like :

31           1         2           3

8             8         8           8

Hence When Work will be rolled up for Dev 3 in Resource Usage it won't be overallocated.

Sapna S
    Sunday, February 6, 2011 5:35 PM
  • ank55,

Unless you tell it otherwise Project will automatically "peanut butter", (spread linearly), resource hours over a task's duration. That's why Dev 3 is overallocated on the first 4 days. In order to achieve your intent, you need to manually enter Dev 3 work over the 5 days. One way to do that is via the Resource Usage view. In the Work field in the timescaled data, (right side of screen), enter 0h for Dev 3 on the first assignment (i.e. HTML Prototype task), for the first 4 days and 8 hours on the 5th day.

You didn't mention if your intent is to have a fixed amount of work on either task. Project will use the work equation to adjust duration, work and units depending on various factors. You might want to check Project's help file under the topic "work equation". You may also want to take a look at MVP Mike Glen's tutorials which can be found at, http://project.mvps.org/links.htm.

Hope this helps.

John

Sunday, February 6, 2011 5:40 PM