none
Install new DPM 2012 R2 server, now can't backup SharePoint Server Farm RRS feed

  • Question

  • I've been using DPM for a few years. I was running System Center DPM 2012 R2 with Rollup 6 on Windows 2008 R2 SP1. I decided it was time to upgrade to Windows 2012 R2. I started with a new server and installed Windows 2012 R2 on it, then installed the same version of DPM on it. I then started moving each protected server, one-by-one, onto the new DPM server. I basically followed these steps:

    1. On the old DPM server, stop protection of the member and disable the agent.

    2. On the protected server, run the command SetDpmServer.exe -dpmServerName MyDPMServerName.

    3. On the new DPM server, use the DPM Management Shell to attach the protected server to the new DPM server.

    4. Create a new protection group on the new DPM server and add the protected server to the group.

    This all went very well until I got to the SharePoint farm. I followed the above steps for both the Web Front End server and the SQL server. I added the SQL databases to the new DPM server, then realized this was a mistake. I needed to add the SP Farm to the DPM server first. So I removed the SQL databases from DPM protection and tried to protect the farm. That's when I got this error: "DPM cannot protect this SharePoint farm as it cannot detect the configuration of the dependent SQL databases. (ID: 32008)" I've done a lot of searching and found that a lot of people have run into this issue. I tried the three steps described on the error page, and I've done a variety of other things, too. I've verified that the SharePoint VSS writer is running and stable on the WFE server. I've run the command ConfigureSharePoint.ext -EnableSharePointProtection. I've registered the SharePoint VSS writer. I've checked that the SharePoint VSS writer is running under FarmAdmin creds. Etc.

    Just to reiterate, DPM protection of the SharePoint Farm was working perfectly normally under the old DPM server. Now that I'm trying to migrate it to a new DPM server (same version of DPM, new version of OS, new server has a different name than the old DPM server) protection of the SharePoint Farm is no longer working.

    Any help?

    Thanks,

    Rob

    Wednesday, May 20, 2015 3:14 PM

Answers

  • I was finally able to fix this myself. I kept on looking for things and reading them. I finally found a Microsoft article that said in order to back up the SharePoint Farm, I needed to back up the Web Front End server. The server that I was using previously to back up the Farm was NOT the WFE (though it was working and the Farm does appear there, in DPM). So I tried backing up the Farm via our WFE. At first it didn't work. Then I turned off the SharePoint VSS Writer service on the server that I had been using to back up the Farm. That was it! Now I could back up the Farm via our WFE.

    Thanks,

    Rob

    • Marked as answer by Rcamoore3 Tuesday, May 26, 2015 3:01 PM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2015 3:01 PM

All replies

  • Hi Rob,

    I'm trying to discuss this issue with someone more familiar with DPM. Will update later when I got a reply. 


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Monday, May 25, 2015 6:15 AM
    Moderator
  • I am assuming DPM database was migrated to the new server. Can you ensure DPM FQDN name of the new server is same as the old server and let me know if it works thereafter

    Steps for migration are listed here for your reference


    Thanks Samir Mehta [MSFT]

    Tuesday, May 26, 2015 11:33 AM
  • I was finally able to fix this myself. I kept on looking for things and reading them. I finally found a Microsoft article that said in order to back up the SharePoint Farm, I needed to back up the Web Front End server. The server that I was using previously to back up the Farm was NOT the WFE (though it was working and the Farm does appear there, in DPM). So I tried backing up the Farm via our WFE. At first it didn't work. Then I turned off the SharePoint VSS Writer service on the server that I had been using to back up the Farm. That was it! Now I could back up the Farm via our WFE.

    Thanks,

    Rob

    • Marked as answer by Rcamoore3 Tuesday, May 26, 2015 3:01 PM
    Tuesday, May 26, 2015 3:01 PM
  • I am glad this got solved for you!

    Thanks Samir Mehta [MSFT]

    Tuesday, May 26, 2015 3:03 PM