none
windows defender won't stay turned on even though I do not have any other AV. RRS feed

• Question

• Based on an Internet search there is Snz.exe file that may be some type of spyware or virus and I can't remove it. If I disable it when I log back in it is enabled. I suspect this may be causing Windows Defender to be down. Any suggestion on how to fix this problem?
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 5:11 PM

Answers

• Hi sorramd,

It is available to turn on Windows Defender manually, right?

We could refer to S.Sengupta`s suggestion to change the startup type of Windows Defender.
    The corresponding registry key should be:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend\Start
    "2" (for automatic), "3" (for manual) or "4" (for disabled)

To ensure the safety of system, it is recommended to perform a full scan in safe mode.
    We could run "sfc /scannow" or "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" to check the health of system files.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 6:49 AM

All replies

• Kindly check the settings:

Type Services.msc in the Start Search box and hit the Enter key.

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 11:30 PM
  • Hi sorramd,

It is available to turn on Windows Defender manually, right?

We could refer to S.Sengupta`s suggestion to change the startup type of Windows Defender.
    The corresponding registry key should be:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinDefend\Start
    "2" (for automatic), "3" (for manual) or "4" (for disabled)

To ensure the safety of system, it is recommended to perform a full scan in safe mode.
    We could run "sfc /scannow" or "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" to check the health of system files.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 4, 2016 6:49 AM
  • I'm having the same issue. The Startup type box is greyed out, it won't let me change it.
    Monday, May 16, 2016 11:36 PM