Restoring Windows Server 2012 Standard Using Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Installation Media Disk RRS feed

• Question

• I was in the process of restoring a Windows Server 2012 Standard Image and i encountered an error;

"Re-image failed, error: The processor architecture or OS version of Windows Recovery Enviroment is not the same as that of the computer that was backed up."

Then i realized that i was using a Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard Installation Media.

Is there backwards compatibility between Windows Server 2012 Standard and Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard when it comes to Windows Server Image Restore? 

Kaisyl Placide

Sunday, July 26, 2020 1:07 AM

Answers

• Hi kaisyl,

There is not backwards compatibility between Windows Server 2012 Standard and Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard. To restore a Windows Server 2012 Standard, you need to use the right version of Installation Media.

By the way, backwards compatibility means products designed for the new standard can receive, read, view or play older standards or formats.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! We invite you to post new questions in the "Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment" forum’s new home on Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Monday, July 27, 2020 6:05 AM