SharePoint 2013 On Prem - Alternatives to Infopath and SharePoint Designer RRS feed

• Question

• All,

Looking for some alternatives to Infopath and SharePoint Designer to use with our on prem 2013 farm.

I know of Nintex and saw a little about Power Apps and Flow. Are these considered replacements?

Does anyone have any experience with either of them and would recommend?

-Marc

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 4:11 AM

Answers

• Hi, 

Powerapp won't work in case of SP2013 on-prem. 

Choosing any Form solution is completely based on the requirements which you are getting it in your company. You can think based on the different scenario and decide which form is better for you. 

1) JS link Form Customization: I like that very much because peace of code can easily do major big tasks. using this we can customize complete form or only selected fields based on your requirements. It is really helpful. Working fine even if you are migrating your site to on-prem.

2) Nintex- Its overall good product. But the bad thing about Nintex is their support is really poor. Might only in UAE but they are just sending emails which some reference links which is not even useful. And also if you migrating the SharePoint to online, then the form will not directly convert require more effort to migrate and also it is very costly in case of SharePoint Online. 

3) Access Forms: In cases where data is highly relational, SharePoint Lists are perhaps not the technology to use. Introducing Access Web Apps, Microsoft’s answer to providing relational database capabilities inside of SharePoint 2013, complete with a SharePoint form for each

Cheers,

Kuldeep Verma

Please remember to click Mark As Answer,if my post solves your problem or in case if it useful then Vote As Helpful

• Marked as answer by Marc Cumos Wednesday, April 17, 2019 4:25 PM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2019 4:54 AM
  • Hi Marc,

Per my knowledge, the best alternative for SharePoint Designer are PowerApps and Flow. However, you are using SP 2013 which is not able to use PowerApps. So for this, the best alternative may be Nintex workflow.

There are many alternatives for InfoPath, you can referto below article, it provides 5 alternatives to InfoPath for SharePoint forms. You need to make the right choice based in your situation.

https://sharegate.com/blog/5-alternatives-to-infopath-for-sharepoint-forms

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 7:27 AM
  • Hi Marc,

Power Apps and Flow are direct successors for InfoPath and SharePoint Designer which makes them sort of an obvious choice. However, they follow a different philosophy which makes them a good product for personal productivity rather than corporate productivity. By that I mean digitization of small things employees do regularly (e.g. you can monitor hashtags on twitter and fire workflows based on that, which might be useful for real-time marketing). At the same time Flow and Power Apps might not be enough for more complex, cross-departmental workflows.

You can try Nintex, but you must be aware Nintex offers separate products for workflows, forms, reporting, RPA and process mapping which might complicate things in case you’d like to implement a full-fledged process-based applications.

Recently I gave a try WEBCON BPS which seems to be rising as a strong contender on the market. They have an Express version which is free and does not have functional restrictions which proved to be more than enough for my pilot implementation. They have a slightly different approach than most of the vendors, since everything they offer (workflows, forms, rules, etc.) is part of the same platform. It’s not something I was used to, but quite frankly I enjoy it now as it allows to implement faster.

There’s also K2, Firestart and AgilePoint but I don’t have much experience with those.

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 9:17 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

Powerapp won't work in case of SP2013 on-prem. 

Choosing any Form solution is completely based on the requirements which you are getting it in your company. You can think based on the different scenario and decide which form is better for you. 

1) JS link Form Customization: I like that very much because peace of code can easily do major big tasks. using this we can customize complete form or only selected fields based on your requirements. It is really helpful. Working fine even if you are migrating your site to on-prem.

2) Nintex- Its overall good product. But the bad thing about Nintex is their support is really poor. Might only in UAE but they are just sending emails which some reference links which is not even useful. And also if you migrating the SharePoint to online, then the form will not directly convert require more effort to migrate and also it is very costly in case of SharePoint Online. 

3) Access Forms: In cases where data is highly relational, SharePoint Lists are perhaps not the technology to use. Introducing Access Web Apps, Microsoft’s answer to providing relational database capabilities inside of SharePoint 2013, complete with a SharePoint form for each

Cheers,

Kuldeep Verma

Please remember to click Mark As Answer,if my post solves your problem or in case if it useful then Vote As Helpful

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 4:54 AM
  • Hi Marc,

Per my knowledge, the best alternative for SharePoint Designer are PowerApps and Flow. However, you are using SP 2013 which is not able to use PowerApps. So for this, the best alternative may be Nintex workflow.

There are many alternatives for InfoPath, you can referto below article, it provides 5 alternatives to InfoPath for SharePoint forms. You need to make the right choice based in your situation.

https://sharegate.com/blog/5-alternatives-to-infopath-for-sharepoint-forms

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 7:27 AM
  • Hi Marc,

Power Apps and Flow are direct successors for InfoPath and SharePoint Designer which makes them sort of an obvious choice. However, they follow a different philosophy which makes them a good product for personal productivity rather than corporate productivity. By that I mean digitization of small things employees do regularly (e.g. you can monitor hashtags on twitter and fire workflows based on that, which might be useful for real-time marketing). At the same time Flow and Power Apps might not be enough for more complex, cross-departmental workflows.

You can try Nintex, but you must be aware Nintex offers separate products for workflows, forms, reporting, RPA and process mapping which might complicate things in case you’d like to implement a full-fledged process-based applications.

Recently I gave a try WEBCON BPS which seems to be rising as a strong contender on the market. They have an Express version which is free and does not have functional restrictions which proved to be more than enough for my pilot implementation. They have a slightly different approach than most of the vendors, since everything they offer (workflows, forms, rules, etc.) is part of the same platform. It’s not something I was used to, but quite frankly I enjoy it now as it allows to implement faster.

There’s also K2, Firestart and AgilePoint but I don’t have much experience with those.

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 9:17 AM