none
IE8 won't communicate with microsoft.com RRS feed

• Question

• Internet Explorer 8 will not communicate with microsoft.com. I am able to access microsoft using Firefox, and I am able to access other websites using IE8 or Firefox.

I recently did a clean install of Windows XP on to a Dell Dimension 4600 using Dell XP install disc. I download IE8 setup to a working computer than installed it on to the non working computer.I have tried looking at every pertinent setting I could think of. I checked through Windows Firewall, and then simply disabled it. I tried lowering the security zone settings in IE8 as low as possible. Added microsoft.com as a trusted site. Checked every setting and configuration for my internet connection. Everything looks correct, and compared every setting to another XP computer connected to the same switch; every thing I looked at is configured identically. I can't find anything on the clean installation computer that would identify why it is not working correctly. Any help finding/resolving the problem would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Yes, I know XP is old and I should stop using it. I see that opinion being frequently expressed as I read through forum posts about Windows XP. I doubt that Windows 10 would run very well on my 14 year old computer.

P.P.S. Without success I tried all of the XP:IE8 advice listed at https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/956196/-internet-explorer-cannot-display-the-webpage-error

• Edited by Mario1776 Thursday, August 24, 2017 6:11 PM
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Thursday, October 12, 2017 2:51 AM Relocated
    Thursday, August 24, 2017 5:39 PM