Remote Task management of XP workstation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I have a windows 2003 domain with a mixture of XP and Vista Business clients. 

I'm having a problem accessing the task management functions of my XP client(s) from a Vista workstation.  When trying to add Task Manager for a remote XP station in an MMC, I'm getting the error "You do not have permission to access this computer".

I am logged on to the Vista station  and XP station as domain admin, UAC is disabled and both Vista & XP firewall service is stopped.

Theoretically this is supposed to function properly.

Can anyone replicate this or a similar environment and confirm the same results or offer a solution?

A few notes:

From Vista, I can add the "Computer Management" pluggin for an XP station in the MCC and access the functions and features therein.  If I am logged via local credentials on the Vista station, I can still add the pluggin to the MCC however when I attempt to access the functions and features therein, access is denied as expected.

My point, I am unable to add the Task Management pluggin to the console where as above, I can add the computer managment to the console. The difference being when I received the access denied (paraphrased) error.

The only place I have been able to find reference to this error is at the eggheadcafe.com.  Here is the url:

eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/29372416/schedule-task.aspx

Thanks for your help and insight,

Scott

Thursday, August 16, 2007 3:32 PM

All replies

• Scott,

I have re-created your situation and can confirm that the Task Scheduler does not work from a Vista workstation to an XP workstation. I know it doesn't help much, but hopefully it helps to know you aren't doing anything wrong.

Tim

Thursday, August 16, 2007 4:41 PM
  • Can anyone else replicate the problem?

More important, does anyone know how to correct the problem?

Thanks for your help,

Scott

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 5:54 PM
  • Can anyone replicate this or a similar environment and confirm the same results or offer a solution?

Still waiting....

Thursday, September 6, 2007 12:11 PM
  • 125 views and no solutions...

If you are experiencing the same problem or delima, please post a reply on this message board stating so.

The activity generated on this thread will surely cause someone (at Microsoft or otherwise) to find or provide a solution.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 12:20 PM
  • I too have this problem and another 100+ problems and are the reasons I have BANNED vista from our enterprise domain. I will NOT under  any circumstances support such a hopeless OS written by such incompetent unprofessionals.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 2:06 AM
  • I am having the same issue.  But this is not just an issue with Vista.
    This goes on to Server 2008 also.  There is no way to access the scheduled tasks on a XP machine from the server.

Does this stuff get tested?

You can created a scheduled task on a Pre-Vista machine with the command line of /V1 but that does not work queries or runs.

How the *** does that work.  They give you ways of creating the Scheduled task from Vista / Server 2008 but are unable to call those tasks. 

I know that XP is close to not being supported but we have to continue to test products on XP because a majority of our customers are still using XP and plan on continuing using it for a while longer.

Mike
    Monday, October 6, 2008 9:33 PM
  • I did find a way of doing it.  I copied two files from the XP box (Schtasks.exe and Schedsvc.dll) that are both in the Windows\System32 folder.  I then placed them in a folder in the Vista or Server 2008 box and ran schtasks.exe from that folder and I was able to get the tasks to run or query or whatever else I needed to be done.

Fairly simple work around but there shouldn't be a need for a work around.  Just make sure that if you are calling the schtask that you point to the schtasks.exe that you copied over and placed into a new folder so it will grab the system file installed with the OS.

Mike
    Monday, October 6, 2008 9:54 PM
  • So this still doesn't work. Microsoft, are you listening???
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:18 PM
  • I have successfully been able to create scheduled tasks to defragment a pc daily on XP machines from a Vista machine using the following command:

schtasks.exe /Create /S \\%1 /RU SYSTEM /SC DAILY /ST 05:00:00 /TN DailyDefrag TR "%windir%\system32\defrag.exe c: -f" /V1
    (%1 is the computername where the task will run)
    Wednesday, April 8, 2009 2:55 PM
  • Oh dear.  I just replied to this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/c4f8643d-d163-43b2-9f37-663ea9209fe1?prof=required

before I found this one.  The problem is a year and a half old and still exists in Windows 7! Microsoft, pull your finger out and at least investigate this problem!  I am unable to view remote tasks on any of our XP machines because I'm running Win7 Enterprise (x86) on a domain.  Googling around reveals the problem is about 18 months old and people have been using dirty command line workarounds to get around this blatant bug.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:46 PM
  • We have about 30 machines that are WinXP Embedded and have scheduled tasks managed by IT.

We moved IT to Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 and this problem still exists. FIX. IT.

Friday, September 2, 2011 2:04 PM
  • You need to load the 32bit version of MMC console.  For whatever reason 32bit tasks are inaccessible to a 64bit MMC console.
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 10:17 PM
  • Not true, I am running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit, and cannot view the Task Scheduler remotely connected to an XP machine.
    Tuesday, December 18, 2012 8:28 PM