none
Error: WTV Converter cannot convert the file from .wtv to .dvr-ms format because the content is not compatible with the .dvr-ms format RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running RC 7100 as a Media Centre, freshly updated from Windows Update. I'm using a Hauppauge HVR2200 DVB-T tuner card to receive digital broadcasts, together with a SKY settop box. I'm testing the WTV Converter (righ-click from Windows Explorer) and I'm getting the error above on 1 of the test files, and would like to understand whether this is an error in the conversion program, or because I'm trying to put content into the dvr-ms format that simply won't fit because of the format of the digital recording.

This works:
    From the SKY settop box UHF cable I have recorded a 30 minute program giving 1,707,264KB (average 948.5KB/sec), WTV Converter works fine.

This fails within 5 seconds of starting:
    From the DVB-T tuner I have recorded a 75 minute program giving 7,257,068KB (average 1612.7KB/sec), WTV Converter fails with the error "WTV Converter cannot convert the file from .wtv to .dvr-ms format because the content is not compatible with the .dvr-ms format".

In the properties of each file, the only difference I could see was that the DVB-T recording said 'DTV Content=Yes' whilst from the SKY setop box it said 'DVT
    Content=No'. The properties dialog allowed me to change the flag from Yes to No, but the WTV Converter still fails with the same error.

I don't believe the file is corrupt, since it plays successfully in the Windows Media Centre.

Note that the error message does not state that the failure is due to copy-protection. I was able to google and locate other reports of that error message, 
    but I was unable to google my error message - therefore I came to this forum as recommended by my RC licensing email from Microsoft.

Am I getting this error because of the content of the DVB-T recording, being incompatible with DVR-MS? What formats are compatible with DVR-MS (eg; 720P, 1080i, H.264)?

Do I need to investigate further the format(s) of the recordings that fail to convert? What would be a good tool to analyse the format?
    Saturday, June 13, 2009 12:03 AM

All replies

• I'm going to answer my own question - well it's an assumption which I believe to be correct.

The WTV file that failed to convert contained H.264 content, and this cannot be converted because the DVR-MS format does not provide for the storage of H.264 content (I can't provide a link that states that as a fact).

The error message could be worded better as:

WTV Converter cannot convert the file from .wtv to .dvr-ms format because the H.264 content is not compatible with the .dvr-ms format

I will be patient and wait, in the expectation that a 3rd-party will turn up with a utility that easily allows any recording made on Win7 MCE to be converted onto a DVD. I don't want to have to use 5 different tools and 6 hours of processing to achieve this, and I don't want to have to think whether it is H.264 or not - I want it to 'just work'.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 10:47 PM
  • Have you tried todvrms
    Friday, June 19, 2009 2:17 AM
  • Yes - todvrms fails on the same file. It starts running, and then finishes after about 15 seconds. As it runs it keeps giving a message like "Waiting for..." then it goes a bit more, then it just finishes. 
    Friday, June 19, 2009 3:28 AM
  • I have exactly the same problem.

I've tried todvrms, MCEBuddy2 Beta, wtv_converter_setup.exe (which uses built in converter) all with NO success! :-(

Does anyone have any other ideas/solutions?
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:36 PM
  • Same problem here - I am an NZ based user, so the broadcast here is h.264 and AC3, seems the convert function of WIN 7 and all the apps I have tried to date fail on this .......
    Friday, July 17, 2009 7:01 AM
  • Hi!
    I have the same problem under 7100 with Leadtek WinFast video/DVBT card. I also have tried about  conversion everything without success.
    I suggest everyone go to the Windows 7 Scenario feedback page:
       https://input.microsoft.com/scenarios/scenarios.aspx?Category=0&Site=f70b487a-3961-496d-8f29-bc96b1726b19&csg=7A7648B0-0D83-4CA5-BE66-3B85220C32AE   

and answer the question   Is Windows 7 Ready?   -  NO!

Sipi
    Friday, July 17, 2009 8:41 AM
  • Try WTV H.264 to mpeg converter , it should work wtv h.264
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 2:54 PM
  • I'm seeing the exact same error on one out of three identical recordins... It seems to be random.
    Also on Win7 RC 7100.

With MC I've recorded 3 episodes of the same show, from the same channel. All from a Hauppauge DVB-T tuner.
    The recordings are NOT in h.264 format, they are all MPEG-2.
    The properties are identical for each of the recordings (save a few minutes in runtime).
    Yet the middle one for some reason fails to convert to DVR-MS, with the error you mention.

I can view all of them without problem, however my reception is mediocre, so there may be some glitches along the way.
    I can open and edit them all in Windows Live Movie Maker. But it will not allow saving without reencoding the whole thing, which is not acceptable. It won't even save in the same resolution as the original (which is 704 x 567 btw. I'm in PAL). I can save in 720x480 or 1280x720. Neither is reasonable. I just wan't to trim the start and end of the recordings... not do any real editing.

I have only tried with the three recordings mentioned, but will test a bunch of others asap, so see if there is a pattern.

And I'm going to try out the independent WTV converters now.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 11:33 AM
  • Just tried the rest of my recordings, from various channels. 14 out of 31 successfully commenced converting.
    The 16 gave the error from the title.

However of these, the 9 recordings are from the local HD channel, and seems to be 1280x720p.
    They might be H.264, but I'm actually not sure. Non of my HD recordings would convert, so it seems consistent.
    For some reason, even though WMP shows them as being 1280x720, by default at 100% it still only sizes the window to 576p... Propably a seperate issue, but still makes me wonder if something is wrong with these recordings.

Anyway, from the non-HD channels, which are MPEG-2, still 7 out of 22 failed to convert. No clear pattern, but I'll keep looking.
    If anybody would like to test, I could upload recordings which work, and which fail, somewhere. Anyone clear if this could be seen as a copyright vio? If that is a problem, I'll just make a series of ultra-short recording, which will propably still show the issue.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 2:24 PM
  • In my experience I have several recordings that will not convert ,Beowulf from FX HD channel, You cannot convert copyright material. So the current conversion methods do not work .It seems that the file is somehow copyright protected and the .wtv format was incorporated by Microsoft for this very reason. Im not going to burn an old movie to disk, I just want to watch the movie commercial free & with the current .wtv software "as everyone knows" you have to convert to enable com-skipping.

Sunday, July 25, 2010 3:49 PM
  • Ok, I have the same issue, fully updated win8 pro with wmc, all files covert no problem, but I have one that won't, yet it does convert if I use aieesoft wtv converter, which oddly has a button that is labelled 'free download' but you still have to buy it - seriously, show me a software that's not free to download!! But anyway, that it would convert the file [5 mins worth], proved that the wtv is good, so if it can do it, why can't wmc wtv converter do it!!

And it's not win8, same issue with the same file in win7 wmc

Totally bewildered with it!! I might just buy the 'free download' and be done with it!!  :)

Saturday, September 9, 2017 7:31 PM
  • An update here, I downloaded a copy of videoredo tv suite v5 and it was not only free to download but free to use as well as a fully functional trial for 15 days. It understands the wtv format and the h264 format and it extracted the contents as a mpeg2 no problem [there are other formats you can choose from such as mp4]

So, videoredo gets the thumbs up, free to download and free to 'try before you buy' for 15 days :)

The original recording came via SBS's Viceland HD stream [Au] and they use the h264 codec and that is the killer that stops windows from converting the file to dvr- ms format.

Got my movie and I'm no longer a bewildered techy  :)  :D

Cheers all

Thursday, September 28, 2017 6:36 PM