none
windows 10 1703 update breaks windows server 2012 R2 connector. Can't reinstall connector.

Question

• The error I get when trying to reinstall the connector is this

Cannot connect this computer to the network

This computer cannot be connected to the server using the user name and password credentials provided. this may be because an existing computer account having the name "computer name here" was previously created using a differnet set of credentials. Rename this computer and then try to connect this computer to the server again, or contact your administrator to remove any old conflicting account.

The client PC was not previously created with different credentials and the user name and password are correct. how do I reconnect the client without removing the computer from the server and adding it back? I don't want to loose all the backups for the client PC. any help would be great. thank you. 

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 8:42 PM

All replies

• Well I tried deleting the computer from the server and ran the connector to add it back on. now I get this error.

Cannot connect this computer to the network

This computer is already connected to another Windows Server network. Before connecting this computer to the Windows Server Essentials network, you must remove this computer from the current network. To resolve the issue, contact the person responsible for your network.

I'm the one responsible and the client PC isn't connected to another windows server. I'm at a loss as how to fix this. I have 3 other client PC's with the same issue. 

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 9:25 PM
  • Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that it failed to re-connect client computer to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. 

Please confirm and check the steps about “Disconnect your computer from or reconnect your computer to the server”:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj713510(v=ws.11).aspx#BKMK_14

Besides, I want to confirm with you that if there is any other DC on Essentials Domain? please try to re-start Windows Server Essentials system and confirm the result.

Also, on problematic client, please try to manually clear stable data:
    1. Delete “Windows Server” folder under “%ProgramData%\Microsoft\”.
    2. Delete “Windows Server Essentials” folder under “Task Scheduler – Task Scheduler Library – Microsoft – Windows”.
    3. Open “System – Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings”, make sure that current system is join back to workgroup.
    4. Re-star the client system, log on with local admin account.

Then, try to re-connect to Essentials Server and check the result.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:12 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 17, 2017 7:41 AM
  • Hi Eve,

No joy with any of the above steps, can we not just download the connector from the server and reinstall? it's a real pain and it happens every time Microsoft relearns an update...

Best Regards.

Mark

Friday, August 25, 2017 6:18 PM
  • Hi,

I am not sure if you are the thread owner “Jeff Booth”? Or, you have similar problem as Jeff Booth’s?

Connector is necessary for Windows Server Essentials to manage clients from a centralized location(Dashboard). 

What is the OS version of your Essentials Server? On client, please open “Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features” confirm that if Connector is installed as program, or installed update. Due to Essentials OS version, if your Connector is installed as update, then, cumulative update may effect existing Connector.exe.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, August 28, 2017 9:13 AM
  • Hello Eve,

Windows Server 2016 Essentials, version 10.0.14393.0

Client Connector version is 6.2.9805.10 - I believe it is installed as a program.

Thanks.

Mark

Monday, August 28, 2017 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

In general, on this forum, one thread for one customer and discuss about one question, as environment, configuration, and etc. factors may be different. Also, it would be helpful for inviting more people to discuss the problem for more suggestion.

Please post a new thread for your question if possible, and provide detail information and relate description.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, August 28, 2017 9:54 AM
  • This is a very easy fix. I have been through this with EVERY windows 10 upgrade. Only way I have ever been able to get this to work after a windows 10 upgrade. Took me several days to figure this out.

Download the connector from the server. You must install the connector using the servers admin credentials. Use the admin account to install each client. select the user for the workstation the client is being installed on. after installing open services, find the five services for the connector (down near the bottom) change them from manual to automatic, under recovery set all three to restart. reboot and check your devices in the server for connection. if not connected you can either start the services again or keep rebooting until it works. 

You DO NOT need to remove the computers from the devices on your server or anything else in this thread that has been stated.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 2:13 AM