none
Network properties and shaes not working on Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V virtual server

Question

• I’m running Windows 2008 R2 as a Hyper-V host.  I have 5 VMs running on this host, all Win 2800 R2. On one of the hosts, I’m no longer able to modify the network configuration since patching this weekend.  When I go into Network -> Properties it shows the server is on a domain and the access type is Internet, but the Connections field is blank, where on all of my other VMs it says “Local Area Connection” and it’s a hyper link to modify the network adapter properties.  See below:

Also, from this server I cannot access shares on other file servers and the shares on this server cannot be reached. I can sign into the computer from both the Hyper-V host and from a remote console and it does reply to a ping command by the VM server's name.

I have rebooted the servers, I have removed the virtual network card and reapplied but nothing has helped.

The patches that were applied were KB3212642, KB3212646, KB3205402 (2 January security and quality rollups and 1 December .NET rollup packages) and KB3045316, the SQL 2008 SP3.  These same patches were applied to about 20 other servers, none had issues.

Any ideas or suggestions?

• Edited by R Manske Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:58 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 4:48 PM

All replies

• Please post an unedited ipconfig /all

Also this one might help.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749323%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 6:41 PM
  • Here it is:

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : AGMKE0VWPSQL01
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . : a.com
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : a.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Virtual Machine Bus Network Ada
    pter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-5D-90-25-09
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.33.144.14(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.33.144.254
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.33.144.5
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{3EC04D19-017C-4E8F-9B61-3D09BFC7517A}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Tunnel adapter Reusable ISATAP Interface {DC977A08-8A85-4E83-A7FA-26E786845FC1}:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #2

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:05 PM
  • Looks to have the name Local Area Connection. What are you trying to modify and cannot?

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:21 PM
  • Dave,

The server does not see shares on other servers and the shares on this server cannot be seen.  for example, this is a SQL server that backs up files to another server.  The backups are failing because it cannot see shares and servers outside itself.  Also, applications that needs to access to place or pick up files off the server cannot do so because it cannot be accessed via the shares.

And I cannot view the network properties to review the configuration or modify. So it seems to me there is an issue with the networking on this box.

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:28 PM
  • Ok, gotcha. I'm at somewhat a disadvantage in that I only have 2012 R2 and 2016 hyper-v servers. Generally installing other roles like SQL on a hyper-v host is not recommended (plus very messy when issues arise) If you think it is the updates then uninstall them.

You can also try to repairing the tcp stack.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/299357/how-to-reset-tcp-ip-by-using-the-netshell-utility

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:35 PM
  • Dave,

To clarify, SQL is not on the physical Hyper-V host.  The physical Hyper-V server has nothing more than the Windows 2008 R2 OS and the Hyper-V services running.  We have 5 VMs running on this physical Hyper-V host, all of which are utilizing Windows 2008 R2.  Only two of the VMs have SQL 2008 R2 loaded.

I don't think it's the patches that have done this, for I patched 20+ servers over this weekend and additional 10+ last and none of them developed this issue.  However, I do accept the fact that maybe a patch did do something, so I was hoping to hear that maybe it's known that one of the patches I listed has caused this issue to occur for others and someone could point me to which of the 4 to pull off.

I will look at the repair utility and may try that first, hoping for a quick fix rather then multiple rollbacks. 

• Edited by R Manske Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:54 PM
    Tuesday, January 31, 2017 7:52 PM
  • Ok, then the wording was confusing. I think it's doubtful that windows update would cause that. So you're saying the guests and host are both affected? Do they share the same vSwitch? Maybe a vSwitch issue with the bound physical interface?

Tuesday, January 31, 2017 9:16 PM
  • No, only the guest/VM.  The Physical host and all other VMs are fine.  It's only the 1 guest VM that is affected.
    Wednesday, February 1, 2017 4:37 PM
  • Ok, so more confusion. I'd try to reset the tcp stack. If no joy you can try;

sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

or possibly a repair install by running setup.exe from the root of the install media.

Lastly I'd probably stand up a new one, patch it fully and migrate roles or applications over.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 4:45 PM
  • Resetting the stack did not work.  In fact, it made it worse for it lost the IP configuration.  A repair was run and it was able to get a DHCP assigned IP address, but all other issues remained.

The solution was to uninstall the network card from Device Manager and reboot the server.  When the server came back up, the network card re-installed as did the drivers.  I was then able to modify the network properties and the shares were restored as well.

• Marked as answer by R Manske Thursday, February 9, 2017 3:37 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by R Manske Thursday, February 9, 2017 3:37 PM
    Thursday, February 9, 2017 3:37 PM