windows activate RRS feed

• Question

• i have a hp pavilion dv6 6 series with original windows 7 

i formatted my laptop and install windows 10 and i did not know how to activate it

• Moved by Youjun Tang Friday, September 11, 2015 1:48 AM use answers.microsoft.com/ instead
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 12:10 PM

Answers

• I think it'll want a product key if he does that, Viorel.

From the link above:

"

If you performed a clean installation instead of an upgrade, you'll be asked to enter a Windows 10 product key or buy a new license in order to activate Windows 10. This is because we weren't able to register your free upgrade entitlement with the activation servers because you didn't upgrade to Windows 10. To fix this, you'll need to go back to your previous version of Windows, make sure the previous version is activated, and then upgrade to Windows 10.

"

• Proposed as answer by Blackwood Thursday, September 3, 2015 6:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Friday, September 11, 2015 7:56 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 6:43 PM

All replies

• Initial formatted version windows 10 not supported ..First you have to upgarde on top of  Windows 7 or Windows 8 OS

1.Install windows 7  & activate it

2. Upgrade the windows 10 after updgarding goto setting windows updated -> activate (check its activated ) thats it.

Now If you want, you can clean install , its possbile now

Vinoth Rajendran

Thursday, September 3, 2015 1:01 PM
  • Formatting your laptop was a mistake.

For further info please see:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/why-activate-windows-10

Note that this is a forum for developers working with windows forms. It's a development technology.

This forum is not intended for support of end users.

Your question is likely to be moved somewhere else shortly.

• Edited by Andy ONeill Thursday, September 3, 2015 6:42 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 2:01 PM
  • Try this too: go to Search box (near the Start button in Taskbar), and then type “Activate Windows”, then check the suggestions. You will probably see the Activation command, then click it.

Thursday, September 3, 2015 6:19 PM
  • I think it'll want a product key if he does that, Viorel.

From the link above:

"

If you performed a clean installation instead of an upgrade, you'll be asked to enter a Windows 10 product key or buy a new license in order to activate Windows 10. This is because we weren't able to register your free upgrade entitlement with the activation servers because you didn't upgrade to Windows 10. To fix this, you'll need to go back to your previous version of Windows, make sure the previous version is activated, and then upgrade to Windows 10.

"

• Proposed as answer by Blackwood Thursday, September 3, 2015 6:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Friday, September 11, 2015 7:56 PM
    Thursday, September 3, 2015 6:43 PM