Windows 7 Laptop suddenly failing? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently purchased a brand new Dell Inspiron laptop with Windows 7 for college. It worked brilliantly for a little over a month. Yesterday, my computer began to go into sleep mode as it was idle for the set period of time (not sure what i had it set to). When I tried to wake it up, my laptop instead shut down. Now it will barely start and runs painfully slow when it does. The resolution will only go up to 1024x768 when it should be able to go considerably higher. I am unable to system restore as every time that I do, the problem still persists. I assume that sleep mode somehow destroyed my HDD but I haven't yet received any indication or notice from the computer stating that to be the problem as would normally happen. I'm just wondering if anyone has an explanation

Thanks!

Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:04 PM

Answers

• Are you able to boot and run your AV scanner?
    Barring a problem with a virus, contact Dell since the laptop is new. If possible, back up any files you want since they may have you use System Recovery to go back to day one.

SC Tom

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, June 17, 2011 9:33 AM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:43 PM

All replies

• Are you able to boot and run your AV scanner?
    Barring a problem with a virus, contact Dell since the laptop is new. If possible, back up any files you want since they may have you use System Recovery to go back to day one.

SC Tom

• Marked as answer by Juke Chou Friday, June 17, 2011 9:33 AM
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 8:43 PM
  • While I'm not sure this will be of help you may want to take a look at this article and check your laptop to see if it has one of the offending drives.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2011/06/ask-ars-do-solid-state-drives-cause-problems-with-sleep-mode.ars

Please remember to flag a post that helps you as "answer" so that it may help others with same problems.
    Friday, June 3, 2011 5:35 PM