none
[RDS] Problem that RDP sessions locks access to the computer. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Maybe someone here has an answer to my question. I just can't seem to find a solution.

I have a Windows 10 Hyper-V "host" hosting some homelab stuff and media/fileserver. (Windows 10 because that's the licence i had available.

3389 is not opened from the outside and i use RDP locally or with a SSLVPN. But i have a problem that sometimes when i sign out from the RDP session something breaks and the Windows 10 system thinks its under attack and locks RDP-connections until you physically sign into the machine. Have and this problem for about a year now and it's a real pain in the ass.

I use a Macbook with the Microsoft remote application and sometimes an other Windows 10 machine to RDP the "server."
    Im 100% it's false positives, is there any regedit value or something i can do to the machine to disable the buildin lockout?
    If i just close the lid on my macbook signed in to RDP it locks it straight away. If there's nothing that can be done maybe it's time for a reformat.
    I've found a couple of threads on different forums having the same problem as me but no solutions.

My firewall only has port 80,443 and 990 open and those rules are logged so i can see that there's no outside attempts. I downloaded a RDP logging tool and could see that out of 180 connections done to the machine not a single one was with the wrong password entered and the machines trying to access it was my two machines. So no unknown IP adresses.

Error msg.
    The terminal server received large number of incomplete connections. The system may be under attack - Event id 1006
    My OS is in Swedish, Fel=Error.

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 1:36 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In general, we can try to sign out/log off the remote session (Start menu and select sign out), which ends the sessions and release resources on remote system. Or, we can just disconnect/close the session (click X icon on RDC), which leaves the session still running on remote system.

We can try to sign out/log off the remote session, and confirm that if such session will be “locked”. If problem does not happen again, I would recommend you to configure the time limitation for idle and disconnected sessions, to make sure that resources and sessions will be released at time. 

We can configure it using local Group Policy:
    Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Remote Desktop Services -> Remote Desktop Session Host -> Session Time Limits

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 6, 2018 3:11 AM
  • Hi everybody,

We have the same problem after Windows 10 1809 update (before that the pc was not online, so it had 1607) and we have to restart the system by teamviewer for connect again (there isn't any physically session, pc doesn't have monitor, keyboard or mouse). Have you resolved? What software did you used for take logs? I should want to try it.

Sorry for the text, I'm not so good with English.

Good Bye.

Sunday, December 9, 2018 10:40 AM
  • Hi,

@ T.Ahlen

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

@ Batt91

I want to confirm with you if it is domain or workgroup environment? Have you deployed RDS services? Or, enable remote desktop connection on Windows 10 locally via System – Remote Settings?

How often will such problem happens?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 13, 2018 2:04 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Tuesday, December 18, 2018 5:13 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang   

Tuesday, December 25, 2018 7:23 AM
  • I can confirm the same problem applies to Windows Server 2019 as well.

Logging in once from console resets it and you can use rdp again. Very bad as we cannot administer our servers remotely any more

I opened another thread on Server >Forum here: 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/001afdbd-bbe1-4e07-b003-36bc42b0b3f1/reconnect-to-rdp-session-fails-on-windows-server-2019-with-an-internal-error-has-occured?forum=winservergen

Tuesday, January 15, 2019 9:46 AM