SCSM 2010 SendEmail - Error when 'Add message to action log' button is checked RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have SCSM 2010 SP1 installed and configured with a local SQL instance on the same server.  Windows Server is 2008 R2 Standard, SQL is 2008 R2.  The Exchange Connector is installed, configured, and working fine for opening, resolving, and closing IRs.  SendEmail is installed and configured (including the manual editing of the exported management pack), however the SendEmail component is failing with the error 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' whenever the 'Add message to actionl log' button is checked. 

I'm not a coder, but having worked with SQL and access before and I assume this error refers to an item that is supposed to be linked, but actually isn't becuase it doesn't match or doesn't exist?

Interestingly I get the same error if I choose 'Send Email' but don't select anything from the 'Message Type' drop down.

I've pasted the exact error below.  Any help would be very much appreciated, as I can't go to production in a live environment unless we can trace 'requests for information'.

Many thanks,

Tim

ate: 29/03/2011 12:34:59
    Application: System Center Service Manager
    Application Version: 7.0.6555.0
    Severity: Error
    Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.SdkDataAccess.ConsoleTaskHandler.DoTask(IList`1 navigationNodes, NavigationModelNodeTask task, List`1 parameterList)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.UI.SdkDataAccess.ConsoleTaskHandler.DoTask(IList`1 navigationNodes, NavigationModelNodeTask task)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ConsoleFramework.WindowJobRecord.ExecuteBackgroundJob(Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs eventargs)
       at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.ServiceManager.UI.Console.ConsoleJobExceptionHandler.ExecuteJob(IComponent component, EventHandler`1 job, Object sender, ConsoleJobEventArgs args)

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:49 AM

Answers

• I've figured out what the problem was.   I was logged into SCSM console on the server as an SCSM Administrator, however that account isn't a member of the Incident Resolvers User Role.

Logged in to the console as a user that is a member of that User Role and the Send Email works like a charm.  Hopefully this will be helpful to all those out there who are also experiencing the problem.

• Marked as answer by The_Ronin_69 Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:46 PM
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:45 PM