none
SQL Server info RRS feed

• Question

• will the map tool determine the older editions of the 2000/2005/ and 2008 versions of SQL?  I need to determine the editions out on the campus and right now our discovery tool only categorizes things as SQL 2005 and SQL 2008.  I know I can run that query script and also go into the registry but if MAP will resolve this then perhaps this would be an option.

I see it is agentless but I do not want to flood the network with traffic as it searches out SQL owners.  I would want to be able to target just the machines I know need defining.  Also in a perfect world it would hit the wintel servers but then again they may block this detector.

Friday, October 21, 2011 3:49 PM

All replies

• Yes, MAP discovers older versions of SQL Server. I’ve dealt with a customer that even discovered some SQL 7 installations, but this is not tested by us so I won’t claim it for sure. If you look at the sample reports in the training kit, you will see that we have some SQL Server 2000 Developer Editions as well as the Desktop Engine.

Your best bet for targeting machines is to use the import file discovery method. Create a text file with one host name per line of all the servers you want to inventory.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, October 21, 2011 6:31 PM