Microsoft Outlook search not working g suite RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. Lately, I've had problems with Microsoft Outlook search function. It has stopped working with G Suite Sync. I've already tried the following but none works:

Rebuilding the index

Repairing Office

Recreating her Outlook profile

Reinstalling the Windows Search service

Disabling all add-ins

Installed latest windows and office updates

Monday, October 23, 2017 8:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Edward,

What's the detailed build number of both your Outlook and Windows system?
    Is there any error message when the issue occurs?

Please try to disable Windows Desktop Search Service for Outlook and check if there will be any improvement:

Note: The following steps show you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Please make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, see this article.

1. Open Registry Editor.
    2. Go to: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search
    3. PreventIndexingOutlook
    4. Set DWORD: 1

Any updates, please post back at your convenience.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 7:54 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

Please see attachments for my registry entries. I do not have "Windows\Windows Search"

Tuesday, October 24, 2017 8:39 AM
  • Hi Edward,

Please try the path below instead and see if the Windows Search can be found:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search

You may need to manually add the DWORD value "PreventIndexingOutlook" if it is not existent.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 10:18 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

Still not working

Thursday, November 2, 2017 4:04 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

Still not working

Adding since I've tried exactly the same troubleshooting as E.M. with the exact same results
    Same issue on multiple (random) laptops.

Windows 10 Pro (1703)
    Outlook 2013 (15.0.4971.1022)

After rebuilding the index, it now finds only 3500 items (used to be more than 30 000).  The PST file is in the users/%username%/appdata/local/Google/Google Apps Sync/

I see that indexing excludes appdata, and there seems to be no way of include it.  ..but then again why would it work fine up til now and then suddenly stop.

Thursday, November 2, 2017 5:20 PM
  • Hi guys, is there any permanent fix for this issue?
    Thursday, November 9, 2017 8:58 AM
  • Has Microsoft fixed this yet?  It's been months of the indexing not working for my email (g suite sync) and still no solution?  If I move items to an Archive folder, indexing works.  But if it's within my original email which uses g suite sync, no results found.

Does Microsoft monitor these forums?
    Thursday, December 28, 2017 3:44 PM