none
Find tapes which can be overwritten? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

Hoping you can help. My boss asked me to find out which tapes can be taken out of DPM - to drum up some kind of report (either via script or other) which shows tapes with an expired retention period? I didn't make much sense to be honest.

I think the scenario is - he is moving a bunch of servers across to a new DPM server and part of this I think is to re-catalogue a bunch of tapes which can be taken from the old DPM system. I think he wants to retain the old data on tapes but wants tapes he can re-use for the new server...

I'm not too clued up on DPM so that's probably why it doesn't make much sense. IF it helps, he made reference to the Veritas back-up system and how if a tape was marked 'blue' it could be overwritten.

If you can make sense of any of the above it would help me - I will likely ask my boss again what he meant but thought I'd some guys here too.

Thanks - Travis

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 9:09 AM

Answers

• HI,

If you look under Management - Libraries - look at the "Offsite Ready" column.  There are several different values that can be shown as seen below.

Expired (in red) = all the backup data sets on that tape have expired and the tape is available to be reused (over-written) in future backup jobs. These are also the tapes your Boss is asking to be taken out of the library.

Offsite Ready (with green checkmark) = The tape is either full, or the write period has been exceeded so no new backup jobs will be written to that tape until it also becomes expired.  Since the tape will not be reused immediately, you can remove it from the library to make room to insert new tapes, or expired tapes you removed earlier.

Free tapes (in Blue) = Tapes that are new, or marked free and have no data written.  These tapes will be used for future backups and are used before tapes that are expired.

Tapes that have data written, but nothing under the "offsite ready" column are tapes that can still be used for next backup jobs.  They will be in that state until a) - the tape becomes full, or b) the write period is exceeded.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 5:49 PM

All replies

• HI,

If you look under Management - Libraries - look at the "Offsite Ready" column.  There are several different values that can be shown as seen below.

Expired (in red) = all the backup data sets on that tape have expired and the tape is available to be reused (over-written) in future backup jobs. These are also the tapes your Boss is asking to be taken out of the library.

Offsite Ready (with green checkmark) = The tape is either full, or the write period has been exceeded so no new backup jobs will be written to that tape until it also becomes expired.  Since the tape will not be reused immediately, you can remove it from the library to make room to insert new tapes, or expired tapes you removed earlier.

Free tapes (in Blue) = Tapes that are new, or marked free and have no data written.  These tapes will be used for future backups and are used before tapes that are expired.

Tapes that have data written, but nothing under the "offsite ready" column are tapes that can still be used for next backup jobs.  They will be in that state until a) - the tape becomes full, or b) the write period is exceeded.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, November 8, 2016 5:49 PM
  • Many thanks - just what I needed.
    Wednesday, November 9, 2016 4:52 PM