none
Dealing with PC's with no Windows 7 drivers RRS feed

• Question

• How are you dealing with deploying Windows 7 to your organisation (or Windows 8/8.1) and not having Windows 7 drivers available for a particular model of machine. I'm deploying to mostly Dell workstations, but have just run into a problem with Precision T5400 and some Precision 490 not having Windows 7 drivers. This is causing issues with deployment (where it won't actually start as it throws up a NIC error). I haven't even got to the part for the Inject Drivers task sequence. Any help appreciated?

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 12:51 AM

All replies

• Hi Edgar,

I assume you mean no Windows 7 drivers supplied via Dell? Typically Windows 7 will have some native drivers that will cover this off, if they don't however you can try and go to the vendor of the individual hardware components to see if they have written a driver. E.g. Broadcom for the NIC driver if its a Broadcom chipset.

Obviously if you are unable to find drivers from Dell/Chipset vendor then you are out of luck and need to look at replacing this Hardware.

I would start with installing Windows 7 on one of these workstations (via disc if necessary) and see what drivers are missing and see if they are available directly from the chipset manufacturers if not available through Dell.

Thanks,

Adam

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 7:55 AM
  • Personally I would grab some recent Windows 7 Dell cab 'roughly' for what you are looking to get drivers for and throw the drivers on a USB drive and then follow the below skipping step 1.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/enterprise-client/w/wiki/7437.dell-family-driver-cab-files

How I generally do drivers is:

1. Have an empty Windows 7 x64\%Make%\%Model% that corresponds to the machine you are adding drivers for (where Windows 7 x64 is the OS you are installing)
    2. Complete OSInstall on the machine via MDT
    3. Open device manager
    4. select some device with a missing driver
    5. Right click Update Driver Software
    6. Browse to the path where you have your drivers
    7. Click next
    8. Repeat 4 through 7 until all missing drivers are installed
    9. Open C:\Windows\INF\Setupapi.dev.log
    10. Search for {Copy Driver Package:
    11. In the Deployment Workbench import that exact driver into your Make Model folder structure in my case c:\users\administrator\downloads\e6430-win8.1-a03-p20xm\e6430\win8.1\x64\security\d2jf6_a00-00\cv\driver\cvusbdrv.inf
    12. (well to the folder that contains the inf)

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, April 28, 2015 6:11 PM