ULS logs are blank RRS feed

• Question

• SharePoint Server 2010 on Windows Server 2008 R2 64-bit, using least privilege security model.

Problem: ULS logs (servername-date.log) are blank, 0 kb.

Service accounts used to run Web Analytics, Timer, and Tracing services have full control access to all files in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\LOGS folder, and services were then restarted.

Logging is set to verbose for all.

Monday, June 28, 2010 8:30 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi, Amber

Would you please check the following scenario: Solution for Zero Byte SharePoint 2010 Log files

http://sharepointinsight.wordpress.com/2010/04/05/solution-for-zero-byte-sharepoint-2010-log-files/

Hope this can help.

Best Regards,

-Aaron

Wednesday, June 30, 2010 12:33 PM
  • For low level priveleges:
    You need to create in AD traceaccount, such as DOMAIN\sp_trace. Add this account to SharePoint (CA -> Security -> Configure Managed Accounts -> Register Managed Account. Open MMC "Computer Management", add this account to "Performance Log Users" and "WSS_WPG" local groups. After run this script in SharePoint PowerShell, where "DOMAIN\sp_trace" is your trace account:

# Get the tracing service.
    $farm = Get-SPFarm
    $tracingService = $farm.Services | where {$_.Name -eq "SPTraceV4"}
    # Get the "svc_sp_services" managed account.
    $managedAccount = Get-SPManagedAccount "DOMAIN\sp_trace"
    # Set the tracing service to run under the managed account.
    $tracingService.ProcessIdentity.CurrentIdentityType = "SpecificUser"
    $tracingService.ProcessIdentity.ManagedAccount = $managedAccount
    $tracingService.ProcessIdentity.Update()
    # This actually changes the "Run As" account of the Windows service.
    $tracingService.ProcessIdentity.Deploy()

Monday, January 24, 2011 11:50 AM
  • Neither of these solutions worked for me.  On restarting the Tracing Service, I get a single line in the log, saying "Tracing Service started".  After that nothing.

I have a least privileges install on a single VM, so the VM includes AD, SQL Server and SharePoint.  I am using Windows 2008 R2, SLQ Server 2008 R2 Ent CU3, SharePoint 2010 Std, Feb CU.

The only thing that gives me ULS logs is if I put my farm services account into the Administrator's group and then restart the Timer service.  But making that account a local administrator breaks the least privileges model.

I have not noticed this problem on any of the production installs I have done, so I assume it is something to do with the single server environment. 

Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Wednesday, June 22, 2011 8:12 AM
  • Hey Andrew,

Did you get anywhere with this?

I've just noticed it on one of our Dev SP2010 servers. All the App Pool accounts are in either WSS_WPG or WSS_ADMIN_WPG, both of which have write privs to the log dir.

Note: My log folder is on a second drive, so it's not in the default location. But I have this working just fine on a number of other machines...

Thanks
    Craig

Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:11 AM
  • Thanks BobGreen - my issue was that the tracing account didn't have "Performance Log Users". Then I restarted the service and all now works fine. Make sure you check your other WFE permission groups too - because mine was missing the farm account on another server. (Also review your logging settings in Central Admin).
    Sunday, October 14, 2012 2:39 AM
  • I know this is an old thread but, I recently had this issue. 

For me, the solution was to add  the SharePoint Tracing Service account to the Performance Log Users group on the local server and then, restart the service.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 12:33 PM