none
Just click individual cells to sum in Excel RRS feed

• Question

• I have been going to this site

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304933-excel-for-mac/suggestions/9603774-just-click-individual-cells-to-sum?tracking_code=3be8e23b6ee6de65eb678cfdbee9c034

for over a year now, thinking that inputs were going straight to MS and that the issue would be addressed/responded to, but nothing has been done to date and folks are still logging their request/concerns there.

The main issue is: 

Excel 2011 had the possibility to sum individual cells by typing "=", and then just clicking on individual cells across the workbook that you want to sum, and "return" when done. This functionality is no longer available in Excel 2016 (you have to type "=sum(", then clicking on the individual cells while holding down the command key, "return". I would be happy if the old functionality is brought to Excel 2016.

• Edited by Rupert99 Monday, March 25, 2019 1:33 PM
    Friday, March 22, 2019 2:54 PM

All replies

• Same here. Asking forever and  no action. 

It is dumb to reason that Mac and PC version need to be the same. Mac users who use PCs have been using Excel in whatever mode it comes in . Same for Mac users. The height of it is to mention that users asked for the removal of this. Yeah , right:-(

If anything add that feature to the PC version.

I don't want my workflow easy said everyone : NEVER!

The minimum is to make it a preferences option.

Friday, March 22, 2019 3:03 PM
  • Hi Rupert99,

I'm afraid you forget some want it, and that some does not want it.
    "Sum" function is used by many people with many situation, but other functions would be needed also by many.
    If typing "=" always leads to "=sum(", I must delete "sum(", i.e. I don't use always "Sum" function, use other functions case by case.

If you want to get Sum between cells, what you need to do is only drag&drop between the cells.  You can see Sum value on the bottom bar of Excel sheet.

Regards,

Ashidacchi -- https://ssl01.rocketnet.jp/hokusosha.com/default.html

Saturday, March 23, 2019 4:16 PM
  • You completely are missing what we are talking about.

Hitting the "=" sign just gives you that "=" sign at least in MS Excel 2016 for the Mac. 

After that we want to be able to click on individual cells cells to autosum them, instead of having to add via a plus sign or a formula, the way it used to be.

As soon as you are starting with calculations =sum etc. that is a different story.

At min an option or preference would solve this issue.

Sunday, March 24, 2019 11:49 PM
  • Hi Ashidacchi,

I don't think you are familiar with the feature we are discussing. There is nothing to "some does not want." This feature affects nothing unless you use it; any other operation beginning with "=" remains unchanged, so there is nothing for a non-user to even notice. Specifically, typing "=" does not "always lead to "=sum(".  Typing "=" followed by clicking a cell and a return, for instance, leads to the display of that cell's entry. At present, typing "=" followed by clicking two cells and a return  leads to the display of the contents of the second cell.  The feature we are discussing would, after clicking two cells and a return, display the sum of the two cells.

Rosepol

• Edited by rosepol Monday, March 25, 2019 12:10 AM
    Monday, March 25, 2019 12:09 AM
  • This is NOT what is being requested. Summing cells in a sequence is easy using the drag and drop. What is needed is the ability to sum cells that are noncontinuous, and in some cases on other sheets, simply by clicking in the cell whose value you want to include in the sum total.
    Monday, March 25, 2019 6:04 AM
  • From the threads, it's clear Rupert is from the PC side and never knew we Mac guys have enjoyed that feature for years...and it's also clear he has never used it. I started this same thread years ago that was acknowledged by some MS guy, once or twice, then was apparently ignored; <g class="gr_ gr_199 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_disable_anim_appear Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="199" id="199">actually</g> it was ignored all along, or we would have this feature. You'd think with the number of people who work at MS they could assign one person to actually pay attention to their customers. Maybe, Rupert99, you will exceed my expectations and go beyond Rupert98 and actually report to someone up there who cares.
    Monday, March 25, 2019 12:10 PM
  • Hi Canaanbill:

Just trying to keep the main thing the main thing here.

1. I do in fact use a Mac and have done so every day for well over 20 year.
    2. I have been using Excel (on Mac) for many years and recently loss the feature I indicated, after upgrading.
    3. I started the thread here, because I and others were not getting any response at the site I mentioned in my post.  My hope was that since this site is directly related to MS, then maybe it might get some traction here.  I might be wrong on this, but I can only hope.

So sorry bud, we are sadly in the same ol' boat together.  No exceeding expectations here.

• Edited by Rupert99 Monday, March 25, 2019 2:13 PM
    Monday, March 25, 2019 2:11 PM
  • Flummoxed as to why decreasing functionality would be a thing, but apparently it is. Elimination of this feature was frustrating and head-scratching. I considered just going back to 2011, but that's not really feasible in the long run. Bring this functionality back please. Thanks Rupert99 for trying this new place for an approach to seeing about Microsoft bringing this feature back. 
    Monday, March 25, 2019 6:32 PM
  • Yes, I too think you misunderstand, and feel your comment detracts from what we are asking. Please if you would kindly re-read, think it through, and reconsider your post? Thank you. 
    Monday, March 25, 2019 6:35 PM
  • My apologies, I thought you were the MS guy. Indeed we flounder together. Thanks for opening this new thread, perhaps it will bear fruit.

Monday, March 25, 2019 9:02 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback here. I can understand your feeling well. Some old features were removed by design, it may cause the inconvenience. From my point of view, Microsoft seems to be improving the Excel for Mac experience to be consistent with Excel for Windows.

In addition, good or bad, the quickest route to get your comments to developers’ ears is right from within any Office app. Use the feedback tool in the upper-right corner of your app to send feedback directly to the team. And if you want to, you can even tell us your email address in case they need to contact you for clarification. 

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 1:45 AM
  • Hi,

This thread has been around for a long time. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. 

Thank you for understanding! If you have any questions, or updates, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, April 8, 2019 9:52 AM
  • I would be delighted if this could be brought back. I can't really understand the decision to remove it. Surely the logic that 'If X doesn't have it we're taking it away from Y as well (despite the fact that Y has had it since the 1990s)' is invalid. Surely, Microsoft takes the attitude that 'Y has something that is really useful, let's give it to X as well'. Apparently not.  
    Wednesday, April 24, 2019 10:47 AM