Administrative Events RRS feed

• Question

• I

just got a call from somebody who said he was a technician from Microsoft to fix my computer.  He told me to type EVENTVMR on the command prompt for me to see the errors and warnings embedded in my computer.  I panicked seeing 3251 errors and warnings.  He said I need to type support.me to connect to their technician to fix the problems because without them fixing it, the computer will crash.  The guy was pushing me to connect but I told him I will make some calls first to make sure he is not just hacker trying to get into my computer.  I called Staples and talked to their tech but I did not get any answer because he did not even know the command EVENTVMR.  I called my niece and her boyfriend to find out if they know anything about it and to check if they also have warnings and errors on their computer and to my surprise they had 50,000.  Whew!  I felt better that I did not give in to the guy who called me.  I am not sure if the guy was legit.  I don't think Microsoft Windows will call millions of computer users to tell them that their computers are crashing without their help.  I told the guy who called me to transfer me to his supervisor which he did.  Another Indian accent person talked to me.  I asked this person I would like to speak to an American accent person.  Not that I am prejudice to any other accent since I have non American accent myself.  This supervisor could not transfer me to one.   Anyway, here is the phone number of this person, 646-867-3751.  I did not try to call him back.  I just posted the number because maybe somebody will recognize it if it is legit or not.   

Saturday, January 28, 2012 7:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please understand Technet Forum cannot help you to check if the phone number is legit or not. I suggest making a phone call to Microsoft Support to confirm this:

http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/?ws=support

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Monday, February 6, 2012 1:26 AM
    Monday, January 30, 2012 8:21 AM

All replies