MS Access Moving to Sharepoint and Lists RRS feed

• Question

• I've been testing moving MS Access databases to Sharepoint, and by default, it seems that the database tables are all transferred directly under Lists.    This has led to a mess of tables all in the same section, and I have one database that is used by different sites so the table names are the same.   Ideally, I'd like to post the database tables in folders or custom lists named for the application, but I'm not able to find a way to do this.    Is there a way to designate where the tables are moved to from MS Access, or is there a way to move them once they have been transferred to Sharepoint?

Thanks,

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, September 20, 2011 7:45 PM not a programming q (From:SharePoint - Development and Programming (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:08 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

If you want move the contents of the list to another location, you can follow these steps:

1. Create a blank destination List or Document Library. You don’t have to worry about recreating custom fields and whatnot. The move process will do this for you.

2. Go to the ‘Site Content and Structure’ page. You can access this site with either Site Actions > Site Settings or http://portal/_Layouts/sitemanager.aspx

3. Navigate to your source List or Document Library and mark all the items that you would like to have moved. Then click on Actions > Move

4. You’ll then be prompted with a pop-up that will let you navigate to your destination List or Document Library. After you find that, just press the OK button.

Thanks,

Pengyu Zhao

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:11 AM
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:51 AM
  • HI,

This should not be greyed out do you have proper permissions?

You can transfer by saving the list as template and then restore it at destination with a different name.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Monday, September 26, 2011 4:21 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

If you want move the contents of the list to another location, you can follow these steps:

1. Create a blank destination List or Document Library. You don’t have to worry about recreating custom fields and whatnot. The move process will do this for you.

2. Go to the ‘Site Content and Structure’ page. You can access this site with either Site Actions > Site Settings or http://portal/_Layouts/sitemanager.aspx

3. Navigate to your source List or Document Library and mark all the items that you would like to have moved. Then click on Actions > Move

4. You’ll then be prompted with a pop-up that will let you navigate to your destination List or Document Library. After you find that, just press the OK button.

Thanks,

Pengyu Zhao

Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:51 AM
  • Thanks for that suggestion.  That is the approach I initially tried, and I just tried again, but after selecting the files to move, the Move option is greyed out / disabled.  

Any ideas as to what would be leading to this option being disabled?

Thanks again,

Brooke

Friday, September 23, 2011 8:17 PM
  • HI,

This should not be greyed out do you have proper permissions?

You can transfer by saving the list as template and then restore it at destination with a different name.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Monday, September 26, 2011 4:21 AM