Remote Restart WITHOUT RPC RRS feed

• Question

• First I Would like to thank All Technet Guys for Always Helping and Never Failing me.

My Current Environment is:

ACtive Directory 2003 & 2008 R2 SP1 DCs/DNSs

Exchange 2007 SP3 Rollup 4  (2 Servers Forming CCR and 1 Server has the CAS/HUB Roles) all ON 64-BIT Windows Server 2008 SP2 OS/hardware

Servers Antivirus is ESET NOD32 Business Edition

ISA Server is my Internal firewall behind a Cisco Firewall whcih faces the Internet

My Problem is:

Randomy my CAS-Hub ( Windows Server 2008 SP2 Standard Edition ) Crashes Mostly After Working Ours.

When it does , it stops Responding to both Remote Desktop and Local Console Access but it is Still Pingable ( Can Ping it from any other PC or Server)

I Checked all Logs and Events but Could Not Find any Cause or reason for it.

Since this Server is the ONLY CAS-HUB Server we have , when it crashes we loose all e-mails Access and Functionalities.In Addition, Since it is our Cluster Share Wriness , the Cluster Fails As well.

To be Notified of the Error When it Happens After Hours , I Setup a Scheduled Task with a Powershell Script  to Send an e-mail to my SmartPhone each Hour.When I Don't Receive it I Know that there is a Problem.

First I Tried Accessing the Server using Sysinternals PS TOOls , but it fails

Then I Tried remote CMD Shutdown Command but it also Failed

Finally I Configured PowerShell Remoting Using WinRM and Attempted Using PSSession and Invoke Commands but they Also Failed.

when Server is Operational , all the above methods work Normally.

After Investigating, I Found that all Remote Methods Depend on RPC and It Seems that this Service is Hanged When Server Crashes

So,When the Server Crashes, the Only Solution is to Manually Restart it using Power Button, However when this Happens after Hours, we are force to either return to Company site or to leave it to the following Day which is very difficult to Explain to Management.

I Know that i can Overcome this by Creating an NLB for CAS Server and setub the HUB Server in the same Second CAS One.However we intend to Implement this with a CAS Array with Exchange 2010 as a Prelimnary Step for Migrating to Exchange 2010.So Even when we Implemen the 2010 Cas Array , with Hub Included,we will still depend on the 2007 CAS-HUB Server till we Implement and Migrate all Mailboxes to 2010 Mailbox ServersWe Plan DAG but Servers still not Available)

So , to Summarize all, I will Truly Appreciate it if you could Help me find a Solution to REMOTELY Restart the Hanged Server WITHOUT Requiring RPC Since the Server is Pingable.

By the Way it is not on an Server But on an HP Workstation.

Sorry, for Writing SO Much. and waiting for your Help.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 12:03 PM

Answers

• 1. The "brute force" solution is management card which is common in enterprise servers. This card allows for switch off/on operations remotely via separate port (web or/and SSH)

2. In spite of your claim that the is nothing interesting in logs, I would recommend to look deeper into both Event logs and Exchange logs. Make sure there in no new minidump file, otherwise analyze it. There are at least two possibilities  how to respond to hang of service. The service can restart automatically or the event trigger an action.

3. Are there any scheduled task in night that may interfere with function of Exchange?

4. How aggresive setting is in AV (any scheduled check?)

5. Is there any traffic incoming and outgoing on active network devices, see the logs.

Regards

Milos

• Proposed as answer by Lionel Pinkhard Friday, March 9, 2012 7:47 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lawrence, Thursday, March 15, 2012 1:44 AM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 12:32 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your posting.

But seems we don’t have a command or tool to shut down a computer in your current scenario.

I notice your posted the server role is built on an Workstation, we know workstation is not stable like a real server. And since no error event can be found here, we recommend replace that server role with a real stable server if funds available.

I think you may also post your question in Exchange forum, maybe they can provide some workaround for you.

Exchange Server Forums
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/exchangeserver

Thank you for your understanding.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 12, 2012 8:47 AM

All replies

• 1. The "brute force" solution is management card which is common in enterprise servers. This card allows for switch off/on operations remotely via separate port (web or/and SSH)

2. In spite of your claim that the is nothing interesting in logs, I would recommend to look deeper into both Event logs and Exchange logs. Make sure there in no new minidump file, otherwise analyze it. There are at least two possibilities  how to respond to hang of service. The service can restart automatically or the event trigger an action.

3. Are there any scheduled task in night that may interfere with function of Exchange?

5. Is there any traffic incoming and outgoing on active network devices, see the logs.

Regards

Milos

• Proposed as answer by Lionel Pinkhard Friday, March 9, 2012 7:47 AM
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 12:32 PM

This is the solution to your immediate problem. However, I'd suggest finding the root cause and solving it.
    Thursday, March 8, 2012 2:53 PM
  • First, Many Thanks to Milos and Lionel for Immediate Responses.

in reply to Milos Great Troubleshooting Steps:

1. The "brute force" solution is management card which is common in enterprise servers

Unfortunately, this is a Workstation that has NO Management Card and I Checked it Manufacturer and found nothing of the Sort for its Model.

2. In spite of your claim that the is nothing interesting in logs, I would recommend to look deeper into both Event logs and Exchange logs.

I have Deeply read all Mentioned logs and just could find any Errors or Warning occur Prior to server freezing Occur.

Just Before the Hang Occured the scheduled tasks announced that there are no Tasks running and that it is idle

i Have Set the AV to EXECLUDE Exchange Server Installation Folder from Protection, also there were'nt Any Schedule Scan or Update Happen before the freeze

Indeed, the Server was Pingable, Also, I Have Setup an Application called Shutter on it that allows me to access the server from browser REMOTELY on a custom Port and I Did Access and Gave it a Reboot Choice, however it did not reboot.

Please note, an hour ago it froze while i am at work and when checked it locally , it was totally frozen with black screen and no possible way to access it and after restarting it manually and rechecking the logs, there were no errors or warnings ,just informational events before , then No Events for the Duration of Freezing ,and then other informational events.

so, if there is any thing else you can tell me to check or a Non Hardware way to Remotely Restart the Workstartion, i will Truly Appreciate it.

And Again Thank you So Much for your Help.

Sunday, March 11, 2012 9:49 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your posting.

But seems we don’t have a command or tool to shut down a computer in your current scenario.

I notice your posted the server role is built on an Workstation, we know workstation is not stable like a real server. And since no error event can be found here, we recommend replace that server role with a real stable server if funds available.

I think you may also post your question in Exchange forum, maybe they can provide some workaround for you.

Exchange Server Forums
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-us/category/exchangeserver

Thank you for your understanding.

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Monday, March 12, 2012 8:47 AM
  • You could invest in a KVM-over-IP solution, there's a lot of options out there. Alternatively, a watchdog timer will detect if a computer is hanging and reboot it, check your BIOS to see whether you have watchdog support.

MCP Windows Server MCTS .NET

Monday, March 12, 2012 2:08 PM