Can a 64-bit Home Premium license/key also install the 32-bit version? RRS feed

• Question

• Without really thinking about it, I purchased the 64-bit version of Vista (Home Premium) along with the parts for my new computer. Now that I've read around, I fear that I may have some compatibility issues. In case I do, is it possible to install a 32-bit version of the same edition using my 64-bit key? Or would I have to install XP and basically be stuck with a useless $140 purchase?
    Thursday, May 17, 2007 7:47 AM

Answers

All replies

•  

The license key will work.

To check compatibility try the HCL (Hardware Compatibility List):

http://winqual.microsoft.com/HCL/Default.aspx?wt_svl=10048VHa1&mg_id=10048VHb1

You can also test your new system automagically with the Upgrade Advisoor

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx?wt_svl=20409a&mg_id=20409b

Friday, May 18, 2007 1:57 AM
  • I have the same issue.

I recently upgraded my HP Pavilion dv5157eu to Windows Vista 64-bit. The notebook does have a Vista capable sticker and passed the "Microsoft upgrade advisor".

The machine is running quicker than it was on Windows XP and I am truly impressed.

However none of the following works:

- Conexant AC-Link Audio
    - Conexant AC97 Soft Data/Fax Modem with SmartCP
    - Quick Launch Buttons
    - Texas Instruments Media Card Reader

I have searched the internet for 2 weeks and have had various communications with HP, each time I get a different solution of which none have worked.

Please can someone tell me where I can get these drivers? Surely HP should have developed drivers for their Vista capable notebooks!?

Now I am stuck with Vista x64 Home Premium!!! I want to install Vista x32 but don't have a disc and am unsure if the key will work? Please let me know if you were able to install x32 from a x64 disc?

Tuesday, May 22, 2007 10:30 AM
  • Was this ever resolved? I am now having the same problem...
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 1:38 AM
  •  Infectious Mononucleosis wrote:
    Was this ever resolved? I am now having the same problem...

Huh, I just got an email on this thread, was not expecting that. Anyways, what hardware are you having an issue with exactly? You should probably contact your manufacturer...

I ended up having no issues whatsoever with x64 Vista. It's running quite smoothly.
    Saturday, March 22, 2008 4:04 AM