Code 39 after last Vista Update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I just went to use my CD driver for the 1st time after the last Vista update but it won't read anything. It knows I have an  optiarc ad-7170a dvd drive but now it's telling me the driver may be corrupt. I can't find a driver for this. I also unistalled my dvd buring software as well just in case.

I've seen may messages regard this issue but most seem to be directed at XP

Any ideas???

Thanks in advance
    Abb
    Tuesday, September 4, 2007 7:42 PM

All replies

• Hello Abb,

I have had the same problems with the exact same DVD player, hopefully Microsoft will come up with a solution.  Have you found one?

Thanks!

Todd

Sunday, October 7, 2007 7:11 PM
  •  

I have DVBS card the same problem in vista ultimate x64 bit

like Windows6.0-KB941649-x64

Sunday, October 14, 2007 6:45 AM
  • any one here

Sunday, November 4, 2007 12:31 AM
  • Sounds like the same problem as whats caused with this kb http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935280

Well fairly similar anyway, that update causes the driver to stop working due to compatibility issues, the reasons for an error code 39 are:

Reasons for this error include a driver that is not present; a binary file that is corrupted; a file I/O problem, or a driver that references an entry point in another binary file that could not be loaded.  (Taken from KB 310123)

I doubt the file is corrupted, maybe a file IO problem but again its i doubt it, my gut says.. a driver that references an entry point in another binary file that could not be loaded. I doubt though thats its the driver for the DVD drive but more likely an upper or lower filter driver added to your computer by a third party app, but then most of this is guessing theres only one way to find out. Now the recommendation for this type of thing is to follow the directions in this kb -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461

Now those steps would remove all upper and lower filters which isnt exactly a huge inconvenience but after doing it most of your programs that use the DVD drive in a special way - such as burning files eg Nero, Roxio, Adobe software - will no longer be able to use the DVD drive, to fix this reinstall the program again and it will load on its third party drivers again. A bit of a cleaner solution is to check what upper and lower filters are installed and remove only the ones likely to be causing the problem, in this case there isnt going to be one that jumps out as causing the problem so you might want to just remove the lot but you could backup the registry key, remove the filter drivers one after the other and test the problem after each filter is removed to find out which one is causing the problem, you'll have to reboot after each filter is removed which is admittedly an arse ache but its good to know the ins and outs of your setup and know which drivers are causing the problem.

Anyway if you want to do it that way just follow the directions in the KB mentioned above but instead of right clicking the UpperFilter and LowerFilter keys and clicking delete, click Modify. The value of the keys will be the names of the upper and lower filters to load. Back up this key or save the contents of the keys to a text file so you can replace parts of the key later. Each word in the key is a filter driver, google the name of the filter and it should point you towards what program loaded it. So whatever ones you remove at least youll know why that filters program acts funny after you remove it, and if its not the cause of the problem you can put the name of that filter back in the key later to restore its functionality.

Really id suggest backing up the keys, remove both and reboot so your drive is working ok then paste the contents of the key here, compare the entries shown, if everybody has 1 common entry then thats probably the one causing the problem and you can restore the upper and lower filters except the 1 causing the problem and fingers crossed all your other programs will work ok. So anyway i hope removing the filters fixes your problem.

Monday, November 5, 2007 11:48 PM
  • thank you but this didn't solve my problem

I will explain it in more detail:

I have kworld dvbs-100 card and it work very well in Vista Ultimate x64 bit

but when I install any one of these updates(Windows6.0-KB932596-x64, Windows6.0-KB938979-x64, Windows6.0-KB941649-x64) I have this message:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

I tried the previous solve but it didn't work and I tried to delete upper and Lower Filters for this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ { 4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318 }

and then this one:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\ {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

then reinstall the driver and application

this device has the problem: Conexant 2388x AVS Video Capture ( DVB-S )
    device type: Sound, video and game controllers

manufacturer: Conexant

driver provider: Conexant

driver date: 07/06/28

so please help

Sunday, November 11, 2007 3:41 PM
  • I have the same card and the exact same problem, Code 39 is reported on the Conexant 2388x AVS Video Capture ( DVB-T ) in Device manager.

Has MS released any fixes for this yet or is there a workaround which anyone knows of?

Cheers

Ollie

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 11:06 PM
  • Does anyone know how to enable the registry editor in window XP.  I have the same error code 39, but when I run the "REGEDIT" I got a message "registry editing has been disabled by your administrator"

Thanks!

Saturday, December 29, 2007 11:03 PM
  •  

Does anyone know how to enable the registry editor in window XP.  I have the same error code 39, but when I run the "REGEDIT" I got a message "registry editing has been disabled by your administrator"

run GPEDIT.MSC go to User Config>Admin Templates>System>Prevent Access to Registry Editing tools and select not configured or diabled.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 4:51 PM
  • go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461 and follow instructions it will only take two or three minutes to get your CD/DVD back
    • Proposed as answer by PJ in FL Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:00 PM
    Friday, April 10, 2009 11:07 PM
  • cheers Elgratone that works a treat sorted out error code 39
    • Proposed as answer by PJ in FL Thursday, December 3, 2009 1:00 PM
    Friday, November 27, 2009 12:04 AM