none
How Can You Generate Reports in MS Project That Match Legacy Reporting Templates in Excel? RRS feed

• Question

• The Situtaion

My company has been using a specific report format for reporting the status of design projects and that format has been around for a few years as an Excel document.  Basically, people open the document and enter information about the project's schedule, is it on time, notes, start/finish dates of tasks.  Etc.  Those Excel files are then printed and displayed in visual management areas around the office.  

The Opportunity for MS Project

My company has never used MS Project to its fullest potential nor has it ever been used for generating actual (basic) reports.  The time line has always been developed in MS Project but the reporting of the status of the project itself has always been done in Excel with existing legacy templates.  The need for better planning has driven my company to adopt MS Project more than ever but the company does not want to change the format of the reporting which means we need to be able to make a custom report that looks like the legacy reports but whose data is pulled directly from the metrics of the MS Project database. 

The Question

Is it possible to:

1. Populate the data fields of the legacy spread sheets with data from MS Project in some automatic/semi-automatic/manual data dump from MS Project to Excel?
    2. or... Is it possible to recreate the exact legacy formats as report templates in MS Project and then use MS Project to generate all the reports?

Monday, February 15, 2016 3:26 PM

All replies

• mm122345,

Is it possible? Definitely. The best way to match your company's existing report format is through VBA. There may be other ways (e.g. copy/paste, Visual Reports, etc.) for getting Project data into Excel but none of those methods will be able to easily match an exiting Excel template.

If you can share with us the exact format used for your Excel template, we can probably help you develop the VBA code to populate the report.

John

Monday, February 15, 2016 3:43 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

I do not know VBA so you telling me how to do it will likely not be the best outcome.  Ha!  However, I'm sure some of our IT support members understand VBA so they could do it.  The takeaway here is that it is possible and that is the first step.

I need to get permission to share the templates first.  Let me check and I'll post back.

Thanks!

Monday, February 15, 2016 3:48 PM
  • mm122345,

Okay, I'll wait for your reply.

John

Monday, February 15, 2016 5:00 PM