Message store woes RRS feed

• Question

• Hi --

I'm having two issues with an Exchange 2003 (SBS 2003) message store whose size is getting out of hand.

1) Several months ago, I modified the default recipient policy to delete messages in the Deleted Items folder that were older than 30 days. But this past week, I manually emptied the Deleted Items folders of several users, accounting for over 10,000 messages that went back a year or more. Why isn't Exchange taking care of this?

2) As a result of a warning from Exchange that its database was nearing the size limit, over the past week I embarked on a cleanup campaign that not only deleted all those Deleted Items mentioned above, but also rolled out close to 90,000 old messages to PST files. All this work should have cleared out at least 14 GB of space in the database. It was done over the course of five days, giving Exchange overnight database management runs ample time to reclaim the space. But this morning, Exchange dismounted the database because it hit the maximum size. Why isn't Exchange accounting for and reclaiming all this open space?

Thanks
    CL

Saturday, February 9, 2013 5:28 PM

All replies

• 1)  Mailbox management in Exchange 2003 has long been a source of trouble reports in these forums.  You really ought to upgrade.

2)  Did you shift-delete these items?  If not, they'll stay in the dumpster (recoverable deleted items) for the "Keep deleted items for..." period.  Further, the database size will never shrink until you run ESEUTIL /D on it.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Saturday, February 9, 2013 5:37 PM
  • Hi,

How many reciepient policies do you have ?

Please check the priority for reciepient policy.

Please check the steps of using recipient policy.

How to use recipient policies to control mailboxes in Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319188/en-us

Wendy Liu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 4:20 PM