Editing and saving office documents on 2010 SharePoint using Office 2016 for Mac RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not able to edit and save SharePoint documents with my Mac using Office 2016.  I get a message that "Edit Document requires a Microsoft SharePoint Foundation-compatible application and web browser".  I have the latest FireFox, Chrome and Safari browsers, Word/Excel 15.38, OSX 10.11.6.
    Monday, September 25, 2017 8:30 PM

Answers

• Hi Lisa,

Thanks so much for responding.  Yes, the work around is not as graceful as I would like, but is viable and will allow me to maintain my OS based system for the collaborative work I must do

Thanks again!

• Marked as answer by LAM45a Friday, September 29, 2017 3:55 PM
    Friday, September 29, 2017 3:55 PM

All replies

• Hey there,

So this could be a number of things.

Is the SharePoint Enviroment SharePoint 2010 (just looking to confirm) and when attempting to edit said documents are you,

1. Open Office Application (eg. Word)
    2. Selecting File, than Open
    3. Than navigating to the SharePoint address where the document is located.

Or are you attempting to select "edit document" from within SharePoint itself. It may be that SharePoint 2010 cannot recognise that their is an office application installed.

Although I do not have a Mac with office installed, so I cannot verify. Alternatly is the document in SharePoint attempting to open "in the browser" based application. Like Office Web Apps?

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 12:25 AM
  • Hi LAM45a, 

It is an known issue, there is no fix planned for SharePoint 2010. 

As an suggestion, you can open the document directly from the client application by using the File \ Open menu and then navigating to the document library and selecting the document to open, or you can use the most recently used documents list in the client application.

For more detailed information, refer to the following article about Mac Office 2016 fails to open documents from SharePoint correctly

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/office_integration__sharepoint/2015/12/11/mac-office-2016-fails-to-open-documents-from-sharepoint-correctly/

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 7:09 AM
  • Hi LAM45a,

Is there anything update?

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if it helps.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, September 29, 2017 10:22 AM
  • Hi Lisa,

Thanks so much for responding.  Yes, the work around is not as graceful as I would like, but is viable and will allow me to maintain my OS based system for the collaborative work I must do

Thanks again!

• Marked as answer by LAM45a Friday, September 29, 2017 3:55 PM
    Friday, September 29, 2017 3:55 PM
  • Hi LAM45a, 

Please remember the mark other helpful posts as answers. 

Have a nice day!

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Monday, October 2, 2017 6:31 AM