SMS Distribution Manager failed to process package RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all

I have a new SCCM 2007 Installation, running on a Windows 2003 R2 x64 server which is also a Global Catalog server.

I have attended the online lab on how to distribute MS Office 2007 with SMS 2003.

I am trying to to set up Software Distribution on SCCM 2007 in exactly the same way. I've done everything up to the point where I created the Package and Advertisement... however the package I created has trouble installing to the Distribution Point. The "Package Status" is stuck on 'Retrying' and the exact message reads:

"SMS Distribution Manager failed to process package "2007 Microsoft Office System" (package ID = EUR00007)."

In the Distmgr.log I can see the following entries relevant the the error message:

~Cannot establish connection to ["Display=\\ERMIS\"]MSWNET:["SMS_SITE=EUR"]\\ERMIS\  $$<SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER><Δευ Ιουλ 21 12:49:19.581 2008 GTB Daylight Time><thread=6500 (0x1964)>
    Error occurred.  $$<SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER><Δευ Ιουλ 21 12:49:19.581 2008 GTB Daylight Time><thread=6500 (0x1964)>
    Performing error cleanup prior to returning.  $$<SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER><Δευ Ιουλ 21 12:49:19.581 2008 GTB Daylight Time><thread=6500 (0x1964)>

~Failed to process package EUR00007 after 11 retries, will retry 89 more times  $$<SMS_DISTRIBUTION_MANAGER><Δευ Ιουλ 21 12:49:19.628 2008 GTB Daylight Time><thread=7068 (0x1B9C)>

The SCCM server is also a domain controller, and the SCCM account is the Domain Admin account, so I don;t think it's a permissions issue. I've also given the computer account rights on all relevant local directories. The said package's source files are copied locally on the SCCM server, and all concievable permissions are given...

What's amiss ???

Monday, July 21, 2008 10:33 AM

Answers

• All SCCM Services were running as LocalSystem, both on the server and on the clients.

I went through any and all settings I could think of (I'm not particularly experienced with SCCM as you have probably already gathered), and BINGO!!!

SCCM creates two Domain Local Security Groups:

SMS_SiteSystemToSiteServerConnection_SITENAME, and

SMS_SiteToSiteConnection_SITENAME

Both were unpopulated. I added the machine accounts for the Site Server and the Site Database Server as well as the user accounts for the Network Access Account and the ConfigMgr Management Point Account, did a reboot on the site server (also a GC server) and lo and behold, in 15 minutes the package was installed, advertised and clients had already began installing it.

At last, I can use SCCM !!!!

Many thanks to everyone for your help!!!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:12 PM

All replies

•  

did u  check the sms management point ?
    Monday, July 21, 2008 10:43 AM
  • Check what exactly?

Monday, July 21, 2008 10:56 AM
  •  

well check the mpcontrol.log and if u find that there was an http error than there is a problem with communication, you can start debugging there i have  had a problem with software distribution for a month and couldnt find a solution, anyways check the AD if its extended if it isnt extend it and finally if u isntalled the client on the management point before remove it and then remove the management point, and then install the management point before reinstalling the client and then restart the agent host, this was what ended my month long problems
    Monday, July 21, 2008 11:29 AM
  •  

OK, there are no errors reported on mpcontrol.log. The AD schema is extended.

The management point resides on the SCCM server which is also a Domain Controller. Do you propose to uninstall the SCCM client and the management point from the server?? Won't this mess up the whole SCCM installation?

Monday, July 21, 2008 11:48 AM
  • uninstallign the SCCM client will not affect the configuration manager server so no it will not affect it, and this steps are safe however if the mplog has no errors then there is no need and id recomment to check the iis settings

go to this link

http://<servername>/sms_mp/.sms_aut?mplist

and if it gives ur http error then u have defenetly a problem with the iis.
    Monday, July 21, 2008 12:34 PM
  • Browsing this link gives the following result:

- <MPList>
    - <MP Name="ERMIS" FQDN="ermis.singularhospitality.gr">
      <Version>5931</Version>
    - <Capabilities SchemaVersion="1.0">
      <Property Name="WOL" Version="1" />
      </Capabilities>
      </MP>
      </MPList>

Is this right? Or should it produce a different result ?

Monday, July 21, 2008 2:14 PM
  •  

no its the right result, however u can also check the mp*.log that gives all the logs related to management point that way u can be sure that you can eliminate the possibility of management point error, and i guess the next step is to cehck the distribution points!!
    Tuesday, July 22, 2008 7:35 AM
  • The MP has nothing to do with distributing packages to a DP.

The SCCM service is running as an user account? Have you changed that manually? Set it back to "local system" and see if that helps (that's the only supported configuration IMHO).

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:01 AM
  • All SCCM Services were running as LocalSystem, both on the server and on the clients.

I went through any and all settings I could think of (I'm not particularly experienced with SCCM as you have probably already gathered), and BINGO!!!

Both were unpopulated. I added the machine accounts for the Site Server and the Site Database Server as well as the user accounts for the Network Access Account and the ConfigMgr Management Point Account, did a reboot on the site server (also a GC server) and lo and behold, in 15 minutes the package was installed, advertised and clients had already began installing it.

At last, I can use SCCM !!!!

Many thanks to everyone for your help!!!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 3:12 PM

Where can I see Site Server, Site Database Server and so on to add the unpopulated accounts?  Thanks for your help.
    Friday, November 13, 2009 6:58 AM
  • Those groups are usually only needed when there's a hierarchy or if you split site systems. The are local groups, but will be domain groups in case of installing ConfigMgr on a DC.
    AGR-FO: what do you mean with "unpopulated accounts"? Can you add some details please?
    Friday, November 13, 2009 2:18 PM
  •  

In my case,

I resolved this error by detecting that one of branch BDP was erroneously configured as Standard Distribution Point and was target for package distribution, I found name of misconfigured BDP and changed it to Branch Distribution Point.

SMS Distribution Manager is starting to distribute package "ScreenSaver" to distribution point "["Display=\\BDPxxx\"]

immediately after this it logged this event

"SMS Distribution Manager failed to process package "Screen Saver" (package ID = SO100007)."

there fore the faulty BDP was BDPxxx, i correctly configured it as branch distribution point it resolved the issue.

• Proposed as answer by cpm55 Monday, March 12, 2012 6:57 PM
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 4:42 AM